dsears71

Late hunt unit 8

My daughter drew a late rifle unit 8 never hunted up there but have scouted 3 times now 5 hour drive each time. Seen a few bulls from the transition to the high country up by Bill willams. Anybody have advise on we’re i get some good glassing done. It’s her first bull hunt  and the baby in the family. Thanks y’all for any help.

I’m not much help now, but if I find anything on my late archery hunt in that unit I’ll let you know.  Hopefully headed up next weekend as well. 

I generally do not think of unit 8 as a great unit for glassing, but I am an old fat guy who doesn't want to drop an elk in a bottom of a deep canyon.  If you are willing to haul an elk out of a canyon, then the canyon rims have lots of viewing points.  If you choose to scope from rims into canyons I would recommend you think of moving along rims to cover a big area and getaway from other hunters.  Get away from easy access points to which most hunters congregate.

As an old fat guy, I am developing a fondness for blinds.  If it is dry during the hunt, a blind on a water hole is a good option.  I will be up there as I have the same tag.  I will be sitting my fat butt in a "Goldie Locks" blind chair.  

One more thing.  The elk have finally, since the end of the drought, found their way back to the lower flats in the south side of the unit, so the elk are scattered around every bit of the unit again.   

• Like 1

I have this hunt as well. Weather prevailing I’m hoping to do a backpack style hunt in the wilderness area in hopes of avoiding pressure and finding a decent bull. I was wondering how low they’ve gone already though! 

They are scattered for sure. Seen a nice bull but he is hanging out on private property so he’s out. I am not that kind of hunter also need to set the example for my kid. Did some glassing in the lower half but some of this canyons aren’t accessible holy crap they are something 

Had a late rifle tag for this year & donated it to the Arizona Elk Society because I started a new job & can't get the time off. Super bummed I can't hunt this year!

• Like 1

On 11/7/2018 at 10:40 PM, rossiranch said:

I have this hunt as well. Weather prevailing I’m hoping to do a backpack style hunt in the wilderness area in hopes of avoiding pressure and finding a decent bull. I was wondering how low they’ve gone already though! 

When i scouting I found them to still be high hoping the weather will push the down

Yea, I am seeing some down low, but not in big numbers.  See plenty just outside of Ash Fork, though.   

Right now, I'm heading up there to brush-in my blind and set up camp.  I'm so stoked.

• Like 1

Calling for snow thurs and fri in Williams! I’ll be up there this wed getting ready and backpacking gear in. 

• Like 1

She been hitting hard no luck but lots of snow. Very little movement I don’t know

ABC21C63-EDFD-4975-968C-B4148BACC905.jpeg

• Like 1

With fresh snow I would try to cut a fresh bull track or glass a remote canyon before I sat a meadow.

if your not seeing movement you might check a diferant area. This is elk moving weather. 

• Like 1