Sign in to follow this  
CouesFanatic

Little Boat, Big Lake

Looking for advice on taking my 14 foot Gumman deep v aluminum boat on some local lakes. I've been on a few mountain/rim lakes, but looking to take the kids out on something close to the east valley. Is it a dumb idea to take the boat to Saguaro? I think the boat can handle the lake, I would just stay by the edge fishing anyway, but I'm not sure about it handling other wakeboard type boats. I've been on boats my whole life, just not little boats like this. Any lake suggestions? 

Thinking about Tempe Town Lake in a few weeks when they stock trout, but I would rather get out of the valley.

Y2MyHuN.jpg

14' Deep V should be just fine, what's powering it?

Even if you didn't hit the main channel right away, launching your boat and fishing in and out of the marina at Saguaro is so much better than Tempe Town Lake or anything less. Lots of bass at and near the launch ramps and marina. 

• Like 1

I see boats like this all the time at Saguaro with a 9.9 HP on the back. Saguaro is not nearly as busy since the weather has cooled off. However, Saggy fishing is pretty tough after the recent bout with Golden Algae. If you're looking to catch numbers, go to Bartlett. Drop shot and T-rigged craws are the ticket as of last weekend.

As long as you are careful and aware of other boats you shouldn't have any problems!  I've seen a lot of smaller boats doing exactly what you are talking about doing.

You're fine. I use a boat and motor setup almost just like that in Rocky Point and San Carlos within a few miles of shore. Just watch the weather.

• Like 1

oh to be young again.  those little boats will take you into amazing adventures.  high winds meant port master Augustin would not let us launch the big offshore boats at cholla.  so we grabbed dads little 12ft/15hp at los conchas and launched at tucson beach.  many good trips-and so was the time we dumped it coming back to the beach-good memories all.  grouper, sardinero, hammerhead, corvina.

stalking big bass at saguaro all night in a 12 footer-will never know how big some of those released bass were.  we were 13-16yo then.

just 10 years ago in a 13ft gregor having 100 fish nights-all on topwater-at roosevelt.

just have fun.  life jackets and a cell phone in a baggie helps.

lee

not me

• Like 1

I use to salmon fish on lake Michigan in a 14 footer with a 15hp motor.  you will be fine on any Arizona lake.  Like it was said, keep an eye on the weather and beat any monsoon storm to the boat launch.

I should see if I can find pics of when I was in high school, the little duck boat we made... 

It was a little 10' plastic bass boat with a 4.4hp yamaha and we had built a chicken wire and conduit blind over the top with entry only through the front or back. We loaded 3 of us into that thing on water that was way too big in way too high of winds, packed down with too much weight in people, decoys, and gear and often times in freezing temps where ice was adding more weight all the time. Killed a ton of ducks and geese out of it, but it probably should've sank and us been drowned.  Eventually we upgraded and redesigned and were only a little less miserable, but a lot safer.

Good times

Pay attention to the weather.

I try to be off the water if the wind gets over 10 mph.

I have used my 12 ft flatbottom on Strawberry in Utah.  That’s a big lake.

We get off the water an hour before any wind/rain is predicted.

IMG_1320.jpg

P1060246.JPG

• Like 1