Sign in to follow this  
Saguaro

Horny Toads

We see a bunch up north in unit 8 on the tops of the canyons<never seen them in the bottoms. for abour 8-10 years I hadnt seen one. kid finds them all the time when were out to the point she is bored with them. never see them more than a 4-5 inches long since the 80's found a few in 20c bunchs in crown king and 6a

About those frogs in the back yard. dont know about holbrook where you from but back in the 80's after a good couple of monsoons we would hear those all the time around 67th and peoria. once alot of people started moving in we never heard them again. I was told they are those baby colorado toads? by one of the neighbors.

56 minutes ago, Delw said:

We see a bunch up north in unit 8 on the tops of the canyons<never seen them in the bottoms. for abour 8-10 years I hadnt seen one. kid finds them all the time when were out to the point she is bored with them. never see them more than a 4-5 inches long since the 80's found a few in 20c bunchs in crown king and 6a

About those frogs in the back yard. dont know about holbrook where you from but back in the 80's after a good couple of monsoons we would hear those all the time around 67th and peoria. once alot of people started moving in we never heard them again. I was told they are those baby colorado toads? by one of the neighbors.

If you are seeing them at monsoon season they are more than likely Spadefoot Toads.

• Like 1

They are very common here in the Boot Heel of New Mexico.  A fair number of them live on our little acreage here on the outskirts of Animas.  We have lots of harvester ants around and they are a staple food of horned lizards.

• Like 1

When I was a kid in Flagstaff I would see 20 a day now I'm lucky to see a couple a year.  I don't know this for fact but was told that when fire ants that were native to south america got brought to AZ the horny toads eat them and they are poisonous to them which has caused the significant downfall in the horny toad population.

One of my favorite AZ critters. Found a huge one in 23 a few years ago on a deer hunt. They blend in so good sometimes they are hard to find.

• Like 2

I saw a bunch during the general 16a deer hunt over towards wickiup. I use to have some big ones in my yard when I lived in Eagar. 

We see quite a few at my house here in Prescott every summer. I’ve seen more in this country in the past few years of living here than I ever did down home near the border. 

C14DAAE9-563E-4D75-9329-F1FC54767473.jpeg

They are one of my favorite critters. I almost stepped on this big one while cutting firewood for deer camp in New Mexico.

1026181720_HDR.jpg

• Like 1