Sign in to follow this  
Jazz

Chainsaws

I'm cursed. I get it.

Bought 2 Poulan Pro's last year for the elk hunt. Neither would start. Home depot took them back and told me they had problems.

So I bought a Stihl a few days ago, and used it for all of 5 minutes up at Jacob Lake during the doe hunt. It failed after 5 mins and wouldn't start.

When I bought it at the dealer, they gave me one, and tried to start it outside. If failed. He said that happens sometimes.. (After 3 people walk by and tell me I bought the best chainsaw in the world)

So the dealer gave me this second chainsaw, and had it running for about 5 minutes and explained everything about it. Which was nice.

What wasn't nice was it died in the field and I had to use scraps for the wood stove. Before I take it back and demand another one, should I be looking at something else? Maybe a Husky?

Best thing I have done for my chinsaw bad luck was only using the no ethinal premixed fuel at Home Depot. It won’t fix your problem now but maybe in the future. I think sitting for weeks in my garage with regular gas and without running it wasn’t healthy on my previous chain saw and 2 previous lawn mowers for that matter. 

• Like 4

What model of Stihl did you buy? Some Stihl stuff is built in China, that being said if you don’t buy a 150, 193, 201, 241, 261, 362, 441, 462, 660, 880 series chainsaw then you are asking for problems in future. IMO no other saws are worth the money with the exception of a husky. Stihl models listed above are the best, German made, not Chinese. 

• Like 2

I wouldn't give up on the Stihl.  Definitely great chainsaws!  Possibly you just got a couple of duds, because I've owned two (plus a Poulan).  Each of the Stihl's was great!  The Poulan always started OK, but tended not to have as much 'cranking/high-end' power.   Quick Google search yields positive reviews for Husqvarna.

Good advice on the pre-mixed fuel.

Good luck!!!!

Interesting topic. My son bought a Poulan a couple of years ago, been in the shop twice for not running. I blame the crappy gas we are stuck with. He shelved it and bought a Husky last month from Tractor Supply. Ran great on the $8 a quart premix but stalls out on the pump gas with 50:1 oil he mixed. For Christmas I will get him a carrying case for it and a case of the premixed stuff.

• Like 1

I own several two stroke products made by Echo. Weed eater, blower and a chainsaw. Mix my own gas, they sit for months sometimes but always start. My chainsaw is 13 years old as is the blower. I don't cut a lot of wood probably 2 - 3 cords per year and I really can't complain about the saw. I have replaced a couple bars, and the clutch and spring assembly. It hasn't been started in months but I know right now in a half dozen pulls it would be revving.

• Like 2

I have ran stihl saws for 25+ years. The ts760 111cc motor was the best and I'm "Stihl" running a few. Weed eater and chainsaw also stihl. Don't buy the cheap crap at the Box stores.

20181111_173849~2.jpg

5 hours ago, Vowell said:

What model of Stihl did you buy? Some Stihl stuff is built in China, that being said if you don’t buy a 150, 193, 201, 241, 261, 362, 441, 462, 660, 880 series chainsaw then you are asking for problems in future. IMO no other saws are worth the money with the exception of a husky. Stihl models listed above are the best, German made, not Chinese. 

+1 on this.  You have to get the stihl pro saws, or you’re just buying junk.  

• Like 2

i got a stihl chainsaw as a safety award at work a while back and at first i couldn't get it to run, i finally realized it was really easy to flood the thing,i figured out a few pulls with the choke on and then a few pulls with it off and it starts right up, maybe this will help

I have a stihl ms311, cut mountains of wood with without any issues, the oiler could be better, smoked a few bars because of it, other than that I’ve never touched it. But I should replace the air filter lol

• Like 1

I have a Husky that is 13 years old and sits for long periods of time.  Took it up on the doe hunt last weekend and it started right up.  I also use the fuel from HD- maybe that's just as important as the brand of saw.  Stihl equal to Husky in reliability IMO.

• Like 1