Sign in to follow this  
Jazz

Chainsaws

I have to go see which model my Stihl is, but its one of the pro series.  After all my time on wildfires, I only want a Stihl.  I had my grandpa's Husky and it was great, but I didn't need two chainsaws, so Edge bought my Husky a few yeas ago.  My grandpa's Husky sat forever without being run.  I pulled everything apart, cleaned the carb, ran good gas with the mix and I never had any problems with it.  I haven't received any nasty messages from Edge, so I'm assuming it still works for him.  My Stihl sits for months without being run and usually fires right up after a few pulls and the choke on.  I've also learned to to use Sta-bil in the mix to winterize it and keep the fuel mix from gumming up.  That's just as important.  In fact, I need to go start it up today!

• Like 1

I get my gas from the airport. Expensive but works great for all garden tools and 2 stroke stuff. No additive crap and a little lead added so don't use it in something with a catalytic converter. Works great and has a long shelf life! 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Mocha1545 said:

I get my gas from the airport. Expensive but works great for all garden tools and 2 stroke stuff. No additive crap and a little lead added so don't use it in something with a catalytic converter. Works great and has a long shelf life! 

This ⬆️..... it might cost more up front,  but you won't gum up carbs from sitting and save the money rebuilding them later. I run it in my generator too. Zero issues. 

56 minutes ago, joe hunter said:

If you’re cutting wood Stihl is the way to go ! If your saw isn’t running right take it back and have the dealer make it run . Stihl gets it done.

FFD2A9F6-F5DF-4326-99CD-43E9717A65F2.jpeg

That’s a beast!

Like Vowell said earlier about models that work better, is true.   Some models are even made for California standards which suck even more.  My cousin couldn't get a Sithl that worked and I had to get one for him.  Some of the older pro models still run great and are workhorses.  The pro series can be rebuilt over and over.  I run a 441 and don't have any issue.

I just got a new one from the dealer. It’s a 5211c. He said there were some bolts loose? He offered me a new one and swore it was working right. I brought a few logs back from the doe hunt to try it out. I’m hoping this does the trick!

• Like 1

Finally got mine out real quick yesterday after work.  Its a Stihl MS391, bought back in 2010.  I don't think its one of the Chinese made ones.  It started and ran great in less than 10 pulls last night after sitting in the garage for a few months (6+?) without being started and ran.  Absolutely love it.

Always use stabil. never leave gas in it unless you are going to use it again soon. Have a can of starting fluid handy.  👌

• Like 3

If it is a fuel issue from bad gas, try mechanic in a bottle if all else fails.  Have a mower that crapped out after a month.  Sat for over a year.  Used the mechanic in a bottle and the high test stuff in the can and viola, back in business.  My wife couldn't believe I fixed something, LOL!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Heat said:

If it is a fuel issue from bad gas, try mechanic in a bottle if all else fails.  Have a mower that crapped out after a month.  Sat for over a year.  Used the mechanic in a bottle and the high test stuff in the can and viola, back in business.  My wife couldn't believe I fixed something, LOL!

Never heard of it, where you get it?

So what does everyone do to store their chainsaws when they don't use them for long periods of time?  I got one for Christmas about 5 years ago and have used it maybe 3 times.

Dewalt battery operated chainsaw is awesome cuts wood like butter and last's for about 6-7 hours all you need is chain oil.  Just got back from a whitetail hunt in 23 for 7 nights and it cut enough wood for my wood burner in wall tent on three different wood cutting outings.  I was skeptical about it but them sob's are cutting machines

• Thanks 1