Sign in to follow this  
sjvcon

Boots -- Need Recommendation

I need new boots.  My Danner's suck.  They get lousy traction on loose gravel over hard subbase.  Fell on my butt 4x hunting with my son this past week.  Couple of issues.  I wear a 14 or thereabouts, depending on manufacturer...so trying them on at a store can be tough.  Also, I am a pretty heavy built guy at 275#, and I need something that is soft enough to get me grip, but durable enough to handle my weight (plus the crap I carry)

Suggestions?

I HIGHLY recommend Lowa Boots.  They are the best book I've ever worn!

If you are close to a REI store they usually have size 14 on hand that is what I wear The boots i prefer are zamberlan gtx  they are that most comfortable i have ever tried.

I tried kenetrek and couldnt even walk around cabelas with them arches were to high for my liking.

For a warm/hot climate I went with the Salomon Quest 4D 2 GTX and I couldn't be happier. They're lightweight and have excellent grip - almost too good on rocks sometimes. The only issue is I wear 11.5 or 12 in everything but needed to go with 12.5 for these boots. A buddy had the same experience with the size issue so that may present a problem with the size you need. Other than that I will definitely buy them again when these wear out (which they have no sign of doing at all after a year in southern Arizona terrain. I got mine on Amazon for $153 which was a steal.

Just goes to show. There’s no “best”.  Every ones different.

I have kenetrek insulated and non insulated. I hike enough that they each get re-soled every other year. 

• Like 2

Plus 1 for Lowa , also at Ross outdoors to try on.

For short or very warm weather,  I like my merrells their thread looks like a mountain bikes tire. 

I think it does boil down to personal preference,  but all great boots listed so far.

I also highly recommend buying used boots.  I started doing this a few years ago and have had great results.  You save a lot of money and you get a boot that is already broken in.  As long as I can find boots in my size I will probably never buy new boots again.  

Like oz31p said you will get about as many different opinions of the best boot as there are posts in this topic.  However I just recently bought some Kenetrek uninsulated boots and cant be more happy.  I have worn them on 2 hunts and have had zero problems.  I bought them off Sierra Trading Post for about 1/2 price.

Crispi boots get my vote. I invested in a pair before my kaibab hunt this year, and am VERY happy I did. They are VERY comfortable and give great support. 

I am 6'4" and weigh 320lb. With my pack, gear, and rifle I am probably pushing 365lb+ loaded down. 

I bought mine through Ross and they were great. I bought a few pair of Darn Tough socks to go with them and they are good too. 

The boot I chose was the insulated Nevada. 

Thanks for all the responses gents.  Going to have to try some on.

Good boots are like "service providers", once your in them, you never want to pull out.  I got Big Browns hooked on Lowa Tibets, great boot and hold up well for Arizona. They are a stiffer boot, great support for heavy pack, and are easy walking on an empty pack.  They don't require much break in.  You con find smokin deals right now with all the deals going on.   Don't skimp on boots, spend the money and your feet as well as knees and back will thank you.

I took out the Lowa insole and put in the superfeet green insert.  I have a wide foot and bough the wide and fit really well.

Lowa makes the Ranger and Trekker, Ranger is a lighter boot than Tibet, and Trekker is a tad more.  

Salomon Quest 4D 3 GTX  is a nice light boot, not stiff. Some users experienced leaks. I haven't had that issue and they are holding up, I don't use them as often as Tibets, but they are a good daily hiker etc.. 

Get good wool socks, and change them daily if you can.  I use have love Darn Tough, great sock. Gobros.com 25% off now. i get DT2010 model.  Also, on inserts, like superfeet green, don't buy based on your foot size ie., 12, buy them on  your arch length, ie., my foot is 11, i buy insert that is a 13 and cut it down.  Your arch has to fall correctly on the insert to make your foot/arch feel good.

• Like 1