Sign in to follow this  
PowellSixO

2018 Coues Buck / Finally Broke 100"

Just wanted to do a quick share of the buck I killed this year. I was lucky enough to harvest my first 100"+ coues buck. The area I hunted this year had a lot of people hunting it, which made it tough. In fact the morning I killed this buck 2 other groups of hunters were sitting just above this buck, and a bigger one. I sat patiently hoping they hadn't seen them. At roughly 8:30 am, they got up and left. I couldn't believe it. I got my stuff together, and hiked almost 2 miles around to a better vantage point, and got set up. I glassed the bowl I had seen them disappear into until 4:45 pm. I hadn't been able to find them the entire day. Just when I thought they had given me the slip, I saw them sneaking out. The big one slipped out with no shot opportunity, but the smaller buck decided to pause for one last look. I ranged him at 502 yards, dropped my bag on the ground, dialed my drop, and held for 8 mph for wind. I settled in, exhaled, squeezed the trigger, and the shot went off. I watched the cross hairs come back, never leaving his vitals. He dropped dead before he hit the ground. The old 7mm Rem Mag still lives up to its history of one shot, one kill. I quartered him, and packed him out that night. Although he wasn't the biggest of the two, I'm still proud to say that I finally killed a truly mature coues buck, and I broke the 100" mark. He was scored by a friend of mine, that scored him at 102 7/8" (16 7/8" and 17 1/8" main beams, a 14 4/8" spread, and 27" of mass). He didn't quite make book, but he still made it over to the taxidermist. Lol. You can see by his teeth, that he was an older buck. I'm not sure exactly how old he was, but we're guessing 7-8 years old. Any ways, thanks for looking. Hopefully I can draw a tag again next year. I can't wait to go back. 

Resized_20181026_162535_5856.jpeg

Resized_20181026_162252_4267.jpeg

Resized_20181026_162433_4360.jpeg

Resized_20181026_162442_2693.jpeg

Resized_20181027_121520_3159.jpeg

Resized_20181103_122416_2606.jpeg

• Like 16

Great buck!

• Like 1

Congrats on a great looking Coues.   Nice write up as well.  

• Like 1