Sign in to follow this  
elpepe25

moly-how to make the switch?

how does one go to shooting moly coated bullets, is there any barrel prep needed? any special loading stuff-precautions? what are the advantages or disadvantages? can you just buy'm load'm and shoot them out of a gun thats never seen moly?

thx,

Rob

I used them in a 270 for awhile just for something different to do. I found that if I cleaned the barrel down to bare metal first they shot well. I found that Kroil and a brush worked well for cleaning tha Moly out of the barrel afterwards. There were horror stories of the Moly trapping moisture against the barrel metal and ruining barrels, but I always clean mine after shooting anyways so I can't report on that. All I noticed about reloading was that the moly scrapped off if you didn't have a good chamfer on the case neck.

Mark

I used them in a 270 for awhile just for something different to do. I found that if I cleaned the barrel down to bare metal first they shot well. I found that Kroil and a brush worked well for cleaning tha Moly out of the barrel afterwards. There were horror stories of the Moly trapping moisture against the barrel metal and ruining barrels, but I always clean mine after shooting anyways so I can't report on that. All I noticed about reloading was that the moly scrapped off if you didn't have a good chamfer on the case neck.

Mark

Mark

I am confused a little wouldn't you want some of the moly to stay ti fill any voids or such to improve the barrel

AzTrapper