AZAV8ER

Access in 35B

Any hunters have access problem in 35B this hunt? Last fall a rancher locked his gate that gave access to the NF just outside Patagonia and This year a rancher in the San Rafael Valley. Now it appears that any road access into an area bounded by HWY 82 between Patagonia and Sonoita on the North, the Canelo Hills on East side and on the S & W side by FR 799 through Canelo Pass, FR 58 through the San Rafael and the Harshaw RD south out of Patagonia. Thats roughly 70sq miles of National Forest that has been cut of from vehicle access. Does anyone know a way into this country that does not involve back packing?

Call the unit manager and get an update. Permissions change all the time.

I have been in concat with the manager for access issues for the region.  Its an ongoing topic.

there was to be a meeting about that on the 7th. I have yet to call Matt to see how it went.

• Like 1

I saw the gate on the Vaca. Didn't try to go into the ranch by Patagonia this year but still went 3 for 3.

You can access 799 from hwy 83 near mile marker 15.  Harshaw Rd and 58 are still available, I drove it last night and saw campers off 58 and harshaw

6 hours ago, dse said:

I saw the gate on the Vaca. Didn't try to go into the ranch by Patagonia this year but still went 3 for 3.

Saw the gate? Ok you saw it locked or unlocked? Yea we went three for three also. Just more fun to get further back in to Red Rock Canyon.

27 minutes ago, G_E_E said:

You can access 799 from hwy 83 near mile marker 15.  Harshaw Rd and 58 are still available, I drove it last night and saw campers off 58 and harshaw

To close to civilization was liking to get further back in. Camping off Harshaw Rd ok for 5th wheel & side by side hunters. Was wanting to get into rough rugged country north of the valley, like we have for last 40 years.

it got locked this summer and when we scouted mid OCT was when we found out about it

We got Californicated. A really rich guy from Cali bought the Vaca Ranch and had his manager lock the gate. 

1 minute ago, akaspecials said:

Can you access on foot or bicycle? 

Yes there are a couple trails/paths you could use. Kind of gave up backpack hunting for my 54th Bday.

19 hours ago, G_E_E said:

So the 765 that runs north toward saddle mt. And lampshire area From 58 is locked now?

I just got of the phone with Matt Walton at AZFGD, he handles access issues. It sounds like it will be almost 2 years before USFS can put in road to get around this land owner. Anyone interested in this access get ahold of me and we can add our names to others to keep this at the top of the list for the Forest to fix. i understand Quail Forever folks are also strong on this access back.