Sign in to follow this  
bojangles

Late archery bull

I found some really nice bulls in the desert, a lot of them were broken up, but good bulls none the less.  But, just in case, I had several blinds built and stands hung at remote water holes.

So opening morning, i glasses up a nice 6x6 in the desert, with 9 cows.  I was by myself, but gave chase anyways.  I ranged them at 1200 yards, and took off.  When I got over there, the elk were gone, and I have no idea where they went.  I may have gotten picked off, or maybe they just moved on.  But without a spotter, there was no telling.  I looked for them till noon, walking and glassing.  Nothing.

since it was warm, I thought I’d get on a waterhole early, and try my luck.  It was a long rough ride in, and then a short hike.  When I got all settled in, I realized I had no water.  I got out of the blind to hike back, but decided I better get right back in and tough it out.  An hour later this guy came in, but from a direction I wasn’t expecting. He wasn’t a big bull, but I wasn’t gonna be choosy.  I had to move my chair to the other side of the blind to draw.  I had him at 35 yards.  I settled the pins, and let one fly.  To my disappointment, I could see blood dumping out of his brisket.   I hit a solid foot low.  But when I shot, I heard the arrow or the cam hit the blind, which really messed up the shot. Re adjusting my chair nearly cost me.  I tried a few quick follow up shots, but blew them.  

The good news was that this bull was pouring blood.  I’d spent the previous night hand sharpening the shwacker broad head, and that was critical.  

I could see he wasn’t going far. I dug in my pack for some stalking slippers, and slid them on.  I snuck to 50 yards, from where he was standing, and had a small window in the trees that I could send an arrow.  I figured I could hit liver with the shot I had, so I took it, and nailed him.  

At that point I backed out and called pwrguy, who brought another friend for the pack out and meat cutting. 

He expired shortly, with very little of a tracking job.  He was probably less than 75 yards from the initial shot.

Both shots were complete pass throughs.  

I was really thankful to take him on opening day. God certainly answered that prayer. 

944B8A3F-36CA-4BAA-AC76-7C36DE1A5D67.jpeg

• Like 22
  • Great Buck! 1

I think your gonna be in a small percentage of successful hunters this year. It's tuff. Congrats again on a great bull.. Yummy

• Like 1

14 hours ago, wildwoody said:

I think your gonna be in a small percentage of successful hunters this year. It's tuff. Congrats again on a great bull.. Yummy

That's what I am thinking as well.  Congrats

• Like 1

Good job on a tough hunt! I tried that hunt once. Doubt I’d do it again!😀

• Like 1