Sign in to follow this  
recurveman

Kimber mountain ascent rifle

I'm thinking about buying one of these rifles in 280 AI,    Does anyone have any experience behind this weapon?   The reviews are mostly good with a few that aren't good at all.   Any info would be great.   Also does anyone have experience with the 280 AI cartridge?   

Thanks, 

Consider     Bergara Premier Mountain Rifle. It comes in 280 AI has a flawless smooth action and a TriggerTech trigger. Plus other features.  I have been shooting a Bergara Premier HMR Pro and its is a tack driver, shoots factory ammo .3, nice bolt feel and great trigger. I don't need another hunting rifle but tempted just to get the Premier Mountain just for the pleasure of shooting one.

39 minutes ago, AZAV8ER said:

Consider     Bergara Premier Mountain Rifle. It comes in 280 AI has a flawless smooth action and a TriggerTech trigger. Plus other features.  I have been shooting a Bergara Premier HMR Pro and its is a tack driver, shoots factory ammo .3, nice bolt feel and great trigger. I don't need another hunting rifle but tempted just to get the Premier Mountain just for the pleasure of shooting one.

So I'm looking for a really lightweight rifle.    The ascent is 5# 6 oz (in 280 AI) and the bergara is 6# 4 oz.   I was actually considering the .308 Acent so the rifle would get down to 4# 13oz.   But I think the 280 AI might be the best choice.   

Barrett Fieldcraft no doubt for me....

Better throated and much better chance of an accurate rifle, bit no .280 Ackley....

I  have a very light rifle, its a Rem 700 in a kevlar stock with a skinny 270win barrel and tally rings mounting a very compact/light Swarovski Z3 3-9X36. its been a good rifle and I think its bagged more coues for me than any other rig I have used. Several thoughts from my experience, this rifle is a hair to light, the scope is great because this rig is not workable for more than 400yds (see to light), its so light that shots get away from you if you don't get down on the gun just right. You don't need or could benefit from to big an optic so balance light rifle to optics that optimize its capabilities. So I am saying don't discount the Bergara out of hand because its not the lightest. I am open to what others who hunt with light rifles think and what they have experienced? 

4 hours ago, AZAV8ER said:

I have been looking at the Bergara rifles and I like them. I put a trigger tech trigger in my 280 AI and love it. 

I was intrigued by the Kimber ascent until I handled one for a few minutes. Personally it felt plasticy and toyish. Ended up opting for a slightly heavier rifle, a Fierce Fury and taking a pounds worth of unnecessary gear out of my pack.

On 11/21/2018 at 4:23 PM, AZAV8ER said:

I  have a very light rifle, its a Rem 700 in a kevlar stock with a skinny 270win barrel and tally rings mounting a very compact/light Swarovski Z3 3-9X36. its been a good rifle and I think its bagged more coues for me than any other rig I have used. Several thoughts from my experience, this rifle is a hair to light, the scope is great because this rig is not workable for more than 400yds (see to light), its so light that shots get away from you if you don't get down on the gun just right. You don't need or could benefit from to big an optic so balance light rifle to optics that optimize its capabilities. So I am saying don't discount the Bergara out of hand because its not the lightest. I am open to what others who hunt with light rifles think and what they have experienced? 

My son has a Rifles Inc in 270. Complete with VX6HD 3x18 and Talley rings it comes in under 6 1/2 lbs. I have no problem going prone and shooting sub 2" groups at 500 yards with this gun. It still shoots sub 1/2 moa at 800 yards which is about as far as I've shot it.

I think it is harder to shoot a lighter rifle but practicing with one will make a person a better shot in the long run.

• Like 1

I have shot a few Kimber Mountain Ascent rifles.  One was in .280AI.  It shot fine.  About .6MOA once load work was complete.  

As others have said, shooting a light rifle takes a lot more consistency to make them perform up to their ability.  It is not the rifle, but the shooter.  They are absolutely fantastic to carry in the mountains however.  At 5lbs 10oz for the chambering you want, they are fine.  Add Talley Lightweight rings and a light scope, you will be sub 8lbs all in.  Maybe closer to 7lbs if you go really light.  

Now the .280AI.....what can I say.  There has been a big boom in that round since Nosler started making headstamped brass.  I love mine.  Load something in a 160-180 grain bullet around 2850-3000, and you are good to shoot elk about as far as you would want with the light rifle.  700-800 easily.  As long as YOU can shoot that far accurately.

My .280AI is 8lbs 13oz all in.  My lightest big game hunting rifle.  Plenty heavy to shoot accurately, but light enough to comfortably carry it all day.  About 1-1.5# heavier than yours will end up being.  Leave one water bottle, or a sweatshirt out of your pack, and you will be packing the same weight as the Kimber.  But I prefer a bit more weight gain to allow for a top end build and glass 

I’ve got one in .300 WSM I picked up through the classifieds on this website.  I picked it up for $1,100 with 75 pieces of new Nosler brass and Redding dies, so I couldn’t pass up on the deal.  Figured if I couldn’t get it to shoot, I’d put a new barrel on it  and have light weight stock, action and decent trigger for a rifle build. I did a little load work before life got busy and I had to put things on hold.  I found a couple loads that shot sub MOA, with the best being a load with the 200 ELDX.  The load went sub .75 MOA and was only a seating depth test with a mid charge weight using H4350.  6 shots were basically touching.  The rifle seemed to like the loads further OAL, but I would have to check my load data for how far off.  I never messed with charge weight before I stopped development. So, I think you can get one to shoot.  As was already stated, that light of a rifle is gonna be really finicky and enhance all shooter errors.  

I am really considering swapping the barrel anyways, even though I know I can get it to shoot.  For some reason, I really want to build a .270 WSM throated to shoot the Berger 170 EOL’s. I think I could push them close to 3,000 fps with a BC close to .700. 

• Like 2

Not an expert on Kimbers but I read somewhere that the newer generation with the green stock and threaded barrel were much more accurate than previous ones.  

There’s some good threads on accuracy improvement “fixes” on older models.  Mainly bedding and barrel float.  

2 minutes ago, no worries said:

Not an expert on Kimbers but I read somewhere that the newer generation with the green stock and threaded barrel were much more accurate than previous ones.  

There’s some good threads on accuracy improvement “fixes” on older models.  Mainly bedding and barrel float.  

I saw the green stocked guns on gun broker this weekend.   I like the looks of them a ton better than the kimber camo.   I think that camo just looks stupid.   Good to know they have made some "fixes" to their issues.   We do some basic gun smith stuff too if we need to make the gun perform better.