Mocha1545

Looks Like a Cold one!

A couple years ago my buddy and I spent a night in my kodiak 10x14 on a cold night on a late elk hunt. We had 2 buddy heaters. I on high connected to a BBQ tank, and one on low. Even with that setup it wasn't super comfortable in the tent when you were trying to get up in the AM and get dressed. We didn't freeze, but we were not toasty warm either. 

31 minutes ago, KaibabHunter said:

My son and I both filled our tags. Had a chance  at a monster and a really good bull but my boy couldn’t connect on em. He ended up with a small 6 pt and I killed a meat bull with 2 hours left in the hunt. Cold but fun hunt. Saw bulls all but 1 day I think.

I modified my kodiak tent for a wood stove and it was the best investment I’ve made since the tent itself or the ranger. Buddy heater wouldn’t have cut it.

I was in a 12x20 Alaknak with a stove. One of the guys got a chest cold and I ran 2 Buddy heaters for a night to give his lungs a break. Not nearly as warm as burning oak in the stove and the amount of moisture on the walls in the morning was horrible. 

We were burning cedar and pine so it burned quick but a lifesaver after a long day. We didn’t get back til 11 pm when my boy killed. Made a fire next to the bull while I broke him down. Boots got wet then froze after day 3 every day. Stove made all the difference drying out gear and keeping camp comfortable. Sometimes it got a lil too warm in the tent. Fun hunt 

10x14 Kodiak worked out pretty good. Buddy heater and bbq tank. One night got down to 3 degrees. A little chilly but comfortable. Got tired of the cot after 8 nights.

We filled 5 of 6 tags.

it was a great time even in the snow and cold.

On 12/16/2018 at 9:15 PM, KaibabHunter said:

My son and I both filled our tags. Had a chance  at a monster and a really good bull but my boy couldn’t connect on em. He ended up with a small 6 pt and I killed a meat bull with 2 hours left in the hunt. Cold but fun hunt. Saw bulls all but 1 day I think.

I modified my kodiak tent for a wood stove and it was the best investment I’ve made since the tent itself or the ranger. Buddy heater wouldn’t have cut it.

Please post pics of tent mod. Asap

I agree.  I have the same tent and would love to see how you modified yours for a stove.  Please post a pic if you have one 

For those running a heater, like the buddy,  in the Kodiak, do you leave the top side vents open for ventilation?  I’m always paranoid about that carbon monoxide stuff.

Yes. I leave two windows cracked.  I use the Big Buddy heater andneven on cold nights its still super warm for us.  

I installed a stove jack in my Kodiak too...

Very very easy....

I also use a propane stove vented out the top. Peace of mind. 

Taylor and I will be headed up next week for a little photo hunting, varmint hunting, and squirrels if we can find any.  Luckily....we have a cabin.

I have a jumping jack trailer & the tent portion is similar to Kodiak tent, we use a buddy heater in the morning & just before we go to bed.

It warms up real quick & holds heat pretty good.

6AB80D7F-C5DC-43D8-9FE6-CF21DFA3539F.jpe

655F25BA-09B8-4EEA-A1E2-DF58E56D7126.jpe

01A68D5B-FDFA-4207-9F8D-AFF92F0414F6.jpe

DA6A0B94-07E9-47F4-A0AC-33E2537814A5.jpe

My tent is the 12x9 FYI. I don’t have much for pics of the install. Pretty easy though. Bought the stove jack from Davis wall tents and sewed it in with a heavy material sewing awl (Amazon). Also bought the Davis heat shield mat that the stove sits on to protect the tent floor. I chose not to mess with the angle of the stove pipe and just ran it straight out the top. There are some vids where guys have run it it out the side wall. Added another spark arrester and a rain cap. Withstood 50 mph gusts those first couple days of the storm without any issue.

• Like 1

Kaibab, I like the box above the damper. Additional radiant heat and the chance it will beat those sudden pressure changes. I was on a bull hunt in unit 8 in 2013 when we suddenly had smoke pouring out of the front of that same stove. 

That’s from Colorado stoves. Read a lot of good things about the additional spark arrestor so wanted it included. My stove is camp chef. Not all nested pipe fits the same so it’s camp chef pipe for the bottom into the stove, then the Colorado box arrestor, then Colorado pipe the rest of the way, and a Colorado cap. I got a good deal on the camp chef but had to figure out how to make everything fit so spent some additional $ to make it all work. 

• Like 1