AzRaised08

Late Season Unit 1

Hello everyone,

I am a first time DIY elk hunter. My father-in-law and I are heading out to Unit 1 for a late season bull hunt. I did not grow up hunting but have done a little over the past few years. All of my hunts have been DIY based on lots of reading and trial and error.

We were able to spend the Thanksgiving weekend (Fri-Sun) scouting & glassing sun up to sun down but were unable to locate many elk. I was hoping that some of you would be gracious enough to share some advice about hunting late season elk in Unit 1 Arizona. Are most still up at higher elevations? Are bulls still generally sticking to secluded areas this long after the rut? Is it beneficial to still use calls occasionally? I have done quite a bit of research, but nothing beats picking the brains of an expert. Any advice/help you could give is much appreciated!

John

I have never hunted unit 1 but I know it’s a good unit.. 

look up randy newberg post rut elk hunting he has some good info.  

I look for secluded areas nobody wants to go and I go there for late season bull.  I’ve never used any elk calls on the late hunt and I don’t know anybody who has.  Good luck on your hunt.  Hunt hard!  

• Like 1

Some parts of unit 1 are glassable due to wallow fire. We've also found good bulls in the open meadows morning 1. After that head to thicker, more secluded ridges and canyons.

Go to Arizona game and fish web site for starting points. 

The deeper and nastier the country the better for large Bulls!  You will find Bulls all over the unit, but if you want a big mature bull you want to find deep nasty north facing hills!

Go to google earth and look for canyons for potential spot . Morning glass areas sun hits first and glass into the sun evenings. Big bulls = Nasty canyons. Have 10 friends on stand bye for pack out

• Like 2

What everyone said. is great info Good guys out there............BOB!

Thanks everyone for your replies and input. We will definitely be spending some more time in a few canyons and glassing the Wallow burn areas. In regards to scouting nastier country, what should I generally be looking for to find a good spot to set up shop and watch elk move from their feed area to bed? I would think its best to catch the elk moving in the morning/evening than trying to pursue them through super nasty country? 

John

Looks like you might be getting some snow. If you do one of my favorite ways to hunt unit 1 in the late season is after a good fresh snow (6”+) get out in one of the no motorized entry areas and find fresh tracks and follow them. It usually doesn’t take long before you catch up to them if they haven’t been spooked. When you catch up if its still morning and they haven’t bedded yet it will be close, under 100 yards and they usually don’t know you are there. Just be sure to have a GPS and know how far from a road and how long of a pack out you are getting yourself into. Even if you spook them you can usually catch up after a mile or so.