az300wby

Elk and Antelope Hunt Recommendations

Thought they would be available by now.  Anyone have any inside information?  

Elk and Antelope hunts have been canceled for 2019.  No need looking or applying!  I hear NM will have great draw odds this year.  I highly recommend everyone hunt NM instead of Az:)

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

I heard the same thing, due to lack of interest by the antelope and elk

• Like 2

I believe what Pintail said is correct.

I spoke to the WM in unit 8 about the antelope. He said they have seen a major die off and he lost 7/7 collared animals in the unit this year. He also said fawn  recruitment this year was almost non existent. 

29 minutes ago, Allforelk said:

I spoke to the WM in unit 8 about the antelope. He said they have seen a major die off and he lost 7/7 collared animals in the unit this year. He also said fawn  recruitment this year was almost non existent. 

Drought? Predator?

18 minutes ago, Non-Typical Solutions said:

Drought? Predator?

He’s still in the process of finding out. They collared 30 more animals and doesn’t have data yet, but did mention drought. I will say that I saw more coyotes in the areas I concentrated on than I ever have before. Way more. Officer was W. Lemmon, seemed like a good guy. 

• Like 1

I am seeing so many coyotes in 8 right now.  The unit is crawling with them.  I was mentioning the die off of antelope and low recruitment since June.  That drought was more severe than people realize.  Then add all them coyotes and times are tough for the ungulates in 8.

2 hours ago, MT_Sourdough said:

I am seeing so many coyotes in 8 right now.  The unit is crawling with them.  I was mentioning the die off of antelope and low recruitment since June.  That drought was more severe than people realize.  Then add all them coyotes and times are tough for the ungulates in 8.

I was hunting up high and saw two sets of tracks in the snow I could have swore were wolves. My family has been going to the area since the 40’s and I’ve never seen this many dogs. The 22-250 will be seeing some action this summer/spring. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Allforelk said:

I was hunting up high and saw two sets of tracks in the snow I could have swore were wolves. My family has been going to the area since the 40’s and I’ve never seen this many dogs. The 22-250 will be seeing some action this summer/spring. 

I'm in if you want help.

• Like 1