Born2hunt

Elk hide tanning advice

My daughter took a cow elk this fall and I have the hide in the freezer. I wanted to tan it but not finding a lot of clear info on how it’s done. I’m thinking about sending it to a tanner. Does anyone have experience sending hides direct to a tannery, or doing the tanning yourself? If so any recommendations on how to do it? I’ve spent time on google but like I said nothing really clear and I don’t want to mess this one up. 

Thanks in advance! 

I would call around to local taxidermist shops for prices. I have done a deer and a couple fox. Thin skinned animals can be fleshed yourself but elk are so thick the tannery has fleshing machines for that. I haven't sent anything directly to a tannery but they might be able to tell you how to ship it frozen.

I had one done quite a few years ago, through a local taxidermist.  With hair on, it was around $300. I think doing it yourself is a very tedious process.

• Like 2

Took one to Jim at Southwest Wildlife Taxidermy (site sponsor) a couple of years ago.    He sent it out to whoever does all their hides.   It came out great!

s.  

I had my first cow done hair off 20+ years ago. I came out wonderfully. The hide sat for 18 years before I figured out what to do with it. It was uustnas soft and supple as the day i got it back.

I had custom made cowboy boots made. They came out awesome! 

Rocky Mtn Dubbing in Lander Wy tans hides.  I did a couple with a kit from Tandy Leather, a lion and an elk, came out ok, soaked the elk for many days in salt water and made the hair slip so it came out similar to buckskin.