Zachbb42

Mule Deer Unit 27 AZ in Jan

Hey guys I'm New to the forum. Me and 2 friends will be archery hunting 27 in the beginning of jan. and  are just looking for a general idea of how far off the rim we will need to be? I've done some turkey hunting in unit 27 for spring turkey but it was just south of alpine. We are thinking of camping in hannagan meadow campground but I don't know if that's far enough south or not. is juan millar rd. a better option? Any info is much appreciated! Thanks in advance

Just hunt off the rim with the other 80 guys driving up and down the roads. Weekends are bad hunt the middle of the week if you can.  

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, jim said:

Just hunt off the rim with the other 80 guys driving up and down the roads. Weekends are bad hunt the middle of the week if you can.  

We are hunting weds-tues so we should get some mid week hunting in.

6 minutes ago, Zachbb42 said:

Haha ya I know it can get in the teens at night

Teens at night would be one thing. I’m thinking teens during the day and complete whiteout with 6ft of snow and 191 closed at hanigans meadow for the season. January in the white mountains at 9000ft. Bring snow shoes and/or a snowmobile. 

1 hour ago, oz31p said:

Teens at night would be one thing. I’m thinking teens during the day and complete whiteout with 6ft of snow and 191 closed at hanigans meadow for the season. January in the white mountains at 9000ft. Bring snow shoes and/or a snowmobile. 

Ya could be. I was up there 2 January’s ago and it was 50 during the day. Wasn’t too bad

27 that time of year can for sure be a crap shoot........love that unit and have seen mule deer just about anywhere and everywhere I've gone!

I have had my mind made up to stay on top and been disappointed because how deep the snow was and how unwilling I was to go freeze my butt off in it! I have been below the rim and tried to glass but the clouds were so low it was worthless!

Yesterday there wasn't any snow....hopefully by the end of tonight there's gonna be snow......could be gone by Sunday.......

I wouldn't plan on where camp was gonna be until I was physcally there and could know for certain where I was really gonna hunt. 

You could camp on top and be pissed off because you can't go below because the road is closed at Blue Vista or vise versa.......you don't wanna be stuck so camp closer to where you want to really hunt!

Heal of alot of country out there to choose from........

I tried it once.  Froze to the point I didnt want to hunt.  Didnt see a deer, then we dropped down into the blue and found deer and it was warmer and my desire to hunt came back. 

• Like 2

On ‎11‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 11:21 AM, oz31p said:

191 stays open year round.  However they generally don't plow it on weekends.

On ‎11‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 12:32 PM, Zachbb42 said:

Ya could be. I was up there 2 January’s ago and it was 50 during the day. Wasn’t too bad

Don't expect that. That's not the norm.

• Like 1