Only gone out last couple of days but not very good so far. Only seen a couple dozen birds up in 19a. Didn't see a single Mearns on my deer hunt in 35 B. 

Yup, those little suckers are definitely a 'boom or bust' proposition.  Good rain in any given year from Dec to late April will result in great numbers pretty quickly.  Even with an average/above-average year of rain, if the majority falls during the monsoon period it will have little-no effect on the Gambel's. (I know I'm preaching to the choir here... lol)

Last year my old child-hood stomping grounds were LOADED with birds.  Lots of big coveys.  We had several big days hunting during Nov, Dec, and Jan with lots and lots of birds.  I have not been out yet this year, but word from some of my hunting buddies is that the populations are dismal this year.

Fingers crossed for good rain this year!

S.

I must just be lucky. The last few months I’ve been in 19a 21 20b 20c 34a and 18b. Saw a ton of gambles. 

• Like 1

I've been going out every chance I have with my Brittney, Like 2 to 3 times a week,he's found quite a few coveys, but the majority of the coveys are really small,6 to 10 birds, so we're not taking any out of those coveys.

I'll be looking forward to going down by Sonoita and looking for some Mearns this weekend.

• Like 2

I am headed down next weekend to do a little hunting with my son around the Casa Grande area, hopefully we get into some birds. i will let you know how it went. I know he has been getting into them every time he has gone out.

With all the deer hunting and scouting I did in 16a I did not see enough quail to even bother breaking out the shotgun. 

17 minutes ago, jim said:

With all the deer hunting and scouting I did in 16a I did not see enough quail to even bother breaking out the shotgun. 

Dang, that's not good...