Sign in to follow this  
Rawmeat

Northerner heading South in January (recap)

Thought that would turn out a little easier to read. Basically mimics the 2017 stats from GoHunt/Rawmeat. 

It does not, however, delineate between early and late season that I can find.

How do they have archery success rates when you don't have to report your kill anymore. They have no clue where over the counter tags are being used and there's 3 archery season a year. I would say the success rates are a wrong and definitely not accurate.

23 hours ago, Ohthatguy said:

Ummmmm.. Wow...

Maybe I should have worded my question differently.

As someone who has never stepped foot into a desert, how do you define desert hunting mule deer? Is the vegetation very different? Or is it just that it is flat? The reason I ask about the south end of 27 is because it looks like there isn't a lot of trees in that area, but it is probably rougher than what you would call desert.

Sorry about my naivety on the subject. Maybe I should make a trip to AZ before asking questions in this forum.

7 hours ago, Rawmeat said:

As someone who has never stepped foot into a desert, how do you define desert hunting mule deer? Is the vegetation very different? Or is it just that it is flat? The reason I ask about the south end of 27 is because it looks like there isn't a lot of trees in that area, but it is probably rougher than what you would call desert.

Sorry about my naivety on the subject. Maybe I should make a trip to AZ before asking questions in this forum.

I would define it as one of the most enjoyable ways to spend time outside. IF you like solitude, love to spend hours behind glass, don't mind climbing and hiking up hills or down washes, don't mind stalking animals that will, in most cases laugh at you as they are running away from you and think the desert is beautiful in it's own way, then you may like it too.  

The vegetation is very different from on top of the rim to the lower flats. Google Hannagan Meadow. Absolutely beautiful up there in 27. If you want to experience a desert hunt, that aint it. It is full of really big, nasty, awesome country though. While most plants are mean up north and will bite, everything down in the traditional "desert" is going to attack you.

Google Arizona desert. You will get a wide variety of pics and all are considered desert. 

Units 22 and 23 have every type of terrain you could want. Flat stuff down low, crazy rocky canyons and heavily wooded areas.

Good luck and have a great hunt.

• Like 1

Those have to be the rifle success rates for those units. I prefer the units in lower elevation for the otc rut hunts. The mild weather cant be beat for glassing!

• Like 2

Statewide hunt success for OTC archery deer is around 6%. Bucks are easier to find while they're moving during the rut. The further north in the state you are, the earlier the rut occurs. Northern Arizona mule deer rut in late November, while it's late December in the desert units in the lower half of the state. The Coues deer rut peaks in early to mid-January.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Ohthatguy said:

I would define it as one of the most enjoyable ways to spend time outside. IF you like solitude, love to spend hours behind glass, don't mind climbing and hiking up hills or down washes, don't mind stalking animals that will, in most cases laugh at you as they are running away from you and think the desert is beautiful in it's own way, then you may like it too.  

The vegetation is very different from on top of the rim to the lower flats. Google Hannagan Meadow. Absolutely beautiful up there in 27. If you want to experience a desert hunt, that aint it. It is full of really big, nasty, awesome country though. While most plants are mean up north and will bite, everything down in the traditional "desert" is going to attack you.

Google Arizona desert. You will get a wide variety of pics and all are considered desert. 

Units 22 and 23 have every type of terrain you could want. Flat stuff down low, crazy rocky canyons and heavily wooded areas.

Good luck and have a great hunt.

Everything in that first paragraph sounds about right to me! Thanks for the description.

It might sound weird, but the solitude part is a big part for me. This is my one solo hunt this year and I don't want to get stuck in a rat race of people and atv's. I understand that there will likely be more hunters in areas with the best deer populations, I am ok with that.

I also know it would probably be easy to get away from people if I try. So I am going to try and strike that balance of solitude and the chance of finding deer. I am also thinking that this year will mostly be a learning experience. Just hoping to make the best of my 9 day hunt.

6 hours ago, StickFlicker said:

Statewide hunt success for OTC archery deer is around 6%. Bucks are easier to find while they're moving during the rut. The further north in the state you are, the earlier the rut occurs. Northern Arizona mule deer rut in late November, while it's late December in the desert units in the lower half of the state. The Coues deer rut peaks in early to mid-January.

that sounds 5% too high 

Well, I made it down to hunt AZ. My original plans changed a bit because my wife flew in on day 7 to hang out and ride back with me.

I ended up hunting unit 27 the entire 5.5 days I hunted. It was a good time and I feel I gained a lot of experience.

I found 9 muley bucks, 7 forks and 2 three pointers. Three of the bucks were alone, but the rest were chasing does.

I saw plenty of hunters, but not a single one on foot. Everyone was in a vehicle or atv. Maybe I am doing it wrong, but I just don't understand how you archery road hunt.

The terrain wasn't too bad after I figured out how to navigate around without having to cross too many canyons. A few 200-300 feet canyons a day was enough though. Far and away the worst part were the hillsides or ridges that were completely covered in rocks that size from baseball to bowling ball with grass growing between them. It was slow going, and I felt like I was going twist an ankle at any time.

I spiked out for a few days and was able to find water. I really enjoyed these days. It was rainy all day one of them and that was the day I spotted the most deer. I tried to make a stalk on a buck bedded away from the others, but the wind was in the exact wrong direction from the way I needed to approach so I backed out.

The highlight of the trip was my last morning hunting. I was glassing for deer at 8 am. I happened to be out of the binos when something caught my eye. I saw 3 tails bobbing down the hill beside me 200 yards away (later ranged the tree they walked by). Mountain lions! It was awesome! I first thought a mother with 2 cubs, but all three looked very similar in size. Not sure what the dynamic was, 3 grown siblings? They walked by in about 20 seconds into a drain and I couldn't find them again.

I met a couple young hunters that were very nice, and also met a lion hunter on the road with dogs and a horse loaded up, that I talked to for quite a while, cool guy.

Something a bit weird also happened. I left my base camp tipi tent set up by road with my vehicle while I spiked out. On my second night out I get a text on my inreach at 1030 pm ftom my wife saying the cop is at our house because AZ g and f contacted him. That was not good. Turns out the wind came up and 2 of the stakes pulled free were the ground was very loose and my tipi fell. Never would have thought as I have had the thing in some wicked winds and it held fine. The local ranch manager noticed I hadn't been at camp for a few days and called it in. Can't fault her for that, it was nice that people are looking out. I talked to her when I got back to camp and she was very nice. All the money I have paid for inreach was worth it to let my wife know I was fine after the cop showed up at oir door to deliver bad news.

All in all it was a great time. I hope to be back someday, but don't know if I can burn 40 hours of vacation and drive 3500 miles every year.

20190109_090712.jpg

20190110_174132.jpg

• Like 5

If you saw nine bucks and three mountain lions , I 'd say you're not doing it wrong.  Spot and stalk with a bow in AZ can be one of the toughest hunts and the most rewarding when it all comes together.  Sounds like you had a fun adventure.  Thanks for sharing

Man I bet your wife was freaked out for a minute! Seeing lions is pretty special.  Never saw one myself.