Sign in to follow this  
trphyhntr

Guess the score (updated with score)

On 12/30/2018 at 7:54 PM, BOWUNTR said:

Or it's scored by an official measurer... Ed F

Ed even then I can be skeptical. Tell me if I'm wrong, but I've wanted to become an official measurer for quite some time and if I remember correctly in order to become official you have to be + or - 2% so on a 100" Coues deer someone could score it 98: or 102" and still become an official measurer.  I know of a few "official" measurers who have the reputation of being "too" conservative and some that have the reputation of scoring everything higher. Both are within the standard deviation so to speak.   In all fairness the ones that I've seen that I don't nessasaerily trust are the "official" SCI measurers. I know Pand Y and B and C have a lot better training and classes. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, WHT_MTNMAN said:

Ed even then I can be skeptical. Tell me if I'm wrong, but I've wanted to become an official measurer for quite some time and if I remember correctly in order to become official you have to be + or - 2% so on a 100" Coues deer someone could score it 98: or 102" and still become an official measurer.  I know of a few "official" measurers who have the reputation of being "too" conservative and some that have the reputation of scoring everything higher. Both are within the standard deviation so to speak.   In all fairness the ones that I've seen that I don't nessasaerily trust are the "official" SCI measurers. I know Pand Y and B and C have a lot better training and classes. 

I teach the classes and have never heard the 2% rule. P&Y and B&C measurer workshops are 4 1/2 days long. There's a measurers manual that is over 1" thick. There's much much more than just streching a tape. My comment is referring to the most common published score... the exaggerated outfitter unofficial green gross score. Ed F

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BOWUNTR said:

I teach the classes and have never heard the 2% rule. P&Y and B&C measurer workshops are 4 1/2 days long. There's a measurers manual that is over 1" thick. There's much much more than just streching a tape. My comment is referring to the most common published score... the exaggerated outfitter unofficial green gross score. Ed F

I knew you know all about it so that is why I questioned everything I said. I have utmost respect for those that want to be legit, and do it right.  I think some outfitters exaggerate of course (fame etc..)  but what I worry about is the "new guy" that quickly looks up on the internet how to score and adds tip to tip and greatest outside etc...and come up with an exaggerated score. I've seen way too many 85-90" bucks that are touted as 100"+. It diminishes those true 100"+ bucks when people do that. This one of trphyhntrs friend at 105 is an absolute great buck, but most people judged it high because it is a great buck and in order to be a great buck it must score in the teens or 20s.   Which isnt true.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, WHT_MTNMAN said:

I knew you know all about it so that is why I questioned everything I said. I have utmost respect for those that want to be legit, and do it right.  I think some outfitters exaggerate of course (fame etc..)  but what I worry about is the "new guy" that quickly looks up on the internet how to score and adds tip to tip and greatest outside etc...and come up with an exaggerated score. I've seen way too many 85-90" bucks that are touted as 100"+. It diminishes those true 100"+ bucks when people do that. This one of trphyhntrs friend at 105 is an absolute great buck, but most people judged it high because it is a great buck and in order to be a great buck it must score in the teens or 20s.   Which isnt true.

100%.... Ed F