Sign in to follow this  
AZDirtyTaco

Archery Javi Minimum Arrow Weight and FPS?

Hey gents!

Wondering what your educated opinions are on the minimum amount of arrow weight and FPS needed to take an ethical shot?  My son has his 1st archery tag and is currently shooting a 323gr arrow averaging 149fps.  I feel like this is going to get it done in the 20yd's and under range, but am not 100% confident and thought it was a good question to pose.

He will be fine on a Javelina at those ranges. I would take him shooting rabbits so he can have the experience of drawing on live critters. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jim said:

He will be fine on a Javelina at those ranges. I would take him shooting rabbits so he can have the experience of drawing on live critters. 

I hadn't even thought of that...  Good call and thank you!

That’s only cranking about 16 ft/lbs of KE. Sounds a bit light to me. Getting that speed up to 195 would get it close to 25. 

• Like 1

A 323g arrow with a sharp Coc broadhead out a properly tune bow will pass thru if hit in the vitals. 

Is he above 30lbs of draw weight?

my 10y is shooting a 315g arrow out of a 35lbs bow. I dont know/care what speed it is. She has an archery only tag. I have no doubt it will pass thru a broad side javelina with a 100g slick trick. 

• Like 2

put one in the right spot and it should work. Lots of kids killing whitetail deer with light tackle.  Should be fine for javelina.  If he’s shooting over 30# and is accurate enough to get the job done I wouldn’t worry a whole lot over calculators and chronographs at this point

• Like 2

1 hour ago, oz31p said:

A 323g arrow with a sharp Coc broadhead out a properly tune bow will pass thru if hit in the vitals. 

I just gave the limbs another 1.5 turns and he's now sitting at 25lbs on his draw and that bumped the fps up to 170.  I think that going to be his max for the time being.

1 hour ago, Flatlander said:

That’s only cranking about 16 ft/lbs of KE. Sounds a bit light to me. Getting that speed up to 195 would get it close to 25. 

It seems to have a nice little thwack on the target.  195 would definitely put the confidence level up higher, but I think he's a little ways away yet.  He does at least put it where it needs to be on foam 90% or better.  I'd like to see him fling em' a bit faster, but I promised the wife I'd hold off on PED's till he's 11.

1 hour ago, oz31p said:

Nah, unfortunately not.  Right around 25lbs based on my ghetto draw weight methods.

Min draw weight is 30lbs

I don’t know how long he’s been using a bow, but my dainty 10year old girls at 35.could be at 38 but she can’t hold as long. 

There are work outs / more practice more often, with out ped. At this age they should shot every day. Especially as season arrives. Mine has just about worn out a 3D javelina at this point 3weeks before season. 

• Like 1

Outside of the fps, I really don't know what weight he's pulling for sure and I hadn't considered the legal requirement.  Good excuse to make a trip to the shop I suppose.

Obviously be sure you hit the legal requirements. Then be dang sure you are VERY disciplined when it comes to shot selection with that set up. But there is enough energy for Javelina if you use the right style broad head well tuned. Also be sure he can hit a grapefruit every time at what ever you determine his max distance to be, because that is roughly the size of the heart lung package on these little guys...