Sign in to follow this  
452b264

Nosler LRAB

Anyone try the Nosler LRAB?

If so how far have you shot them?

Have you taken any game with them?

I am mostly interested in the .284 caliber for 280 AI, I want to try the 168 gr. LRAB and retumbo.

I am ready to start reloading for it, went to the range today to finish barrel break-in with Nosler factory 160 gr. Partition load, it shot a 1/2 and 5/8 inch group with factory ammo, not to bad for a factory loaded partition. The load states 2950 fps it averaged 3065 fps. Now I have 40 rounds of once fired brass. I m going to work up an all copper load and I want to try 175 ELDX ; 168 LRAB, and maybe 175 gr. Berger.

I have used the 168 LRAB in my 7 mag. I have taken three elk and one coues deer with them. None have been long range, all the elk under 250 yards and the coues was 350. No problems with the bullets themselves, all one shot kills in the lungs. Two elk and the coues dropped in their tracks while one elk went about 20 yards and tipped over.

I used RL 22 and was getting 2850 fps. A little slow but with .5 moa at 100 yards  from the bench, I was happy with that load.

• Like 2

Shot approx 200 of these bullets (all hand loads) 168 grn outa my Remington 700 sendero 7 mag @ 3017 fps. .5 MOA @ 100 yds and have shot out to 950 yds with great results. No results on animals since I can’t get drawn if my life depended on it lol. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, rkv09 said:

I have used the 168 LRAB in my 7 mag. I have taken three elk and one coues deer with them. None have been long range, all the elk under 250 yards and the coues was 350. No problems with the bullets themselves, all one shot kills in the lungs. Two elk and the coues dropped in their tracks while one elk went about 20 yards and tipped over.

I used RL 22 and was getting 2850 fps. A little slow but with .5 moa at 100 yards  from the bench, I was happy with that load.

Thanks I wanted to try retumbo and 168 gr. LRAB, Hodgdon lists a load for 168 gr. bullet and retumbo, its a temperature  stable powder. Thanks for the reply.

8 minutes ago, lapazflats said:

Shot approx 200 of these bullets (all hand loads) 168 grn outa my Remington 700 sendero 7 mag @ 3017 fps. .5 MOA @ 100 yds and have shot out to 950 yds with great results. No results on animals since I can’t get drawn if my life depended on it lol. 

What powder are you using?

Been shooting the 142 grain 6.5MM bullets out of my 6.5 X 284.   Probably put 100 bullets down range so far.  Shot a mule deer in CO this fall at about 100 yards.   BANG FLOP.   Performed very well.   In through the lungs and out the back shoulder with an exit wound that was substantial.   I would say the results were very similar to a Nosler ballistictip.   Did load development the last few weekends at 500 yards and kept a pretty good water line in some 10-15 MPH winds.   Shot H4350 down the tube and my speeds were really consistent depending on the load.   I don't have it dialed in yet but I feel confident that the bullet will be plenty accurate and perform well on critters.   

• Like 1

15 hours ago, 452b264 said:

Thanks I wanted to try retumbo and 168 gr. LRAB, Hodgdon lists a load for 168 gr. bullet and retumbo, its a temperature  stable powder. Thanks for the reply.

If you want REALLY temp stable, think about H1000.  I think it is the perfect powder for a hunting 7RM with 160+ bullets.  I use it under 160 NAB, 160 TMK, 168 SMK, 168 HVLD, 168 LRX, 175 Berger Elite, 175 ELD-X, 180 HVLD, 180 Hybrids, and 184 Hybrids in various rifles chambered in 7RM with excellent success.  Very temp stable, clean burning, cooler burning, and very accurate.  ES/SD has always been very good as well.  Not the absolute best speeds, but consistent lot to lot across temps from -4 to 110+ from what I have found.

• Like 1

3 mulies, 5 coues, 4 audad, 1 bear with 7mm RM, 168gr LRAB, same rifle- stiller/brux,  Ramshot Magnum powder. 4 different shooters over the last 4 years.

From 250yds to 648yds, they have preformed very well!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lancetkenyon said:

If you want REALLY temp stable, think about H1000.  I think it is the perfect powder for a hunting 7RM with 160+ bullets.  I use it under 160 NAB, 160 TMK, 168 SMK, 168 HVLD, 168 LRX, 175 Berger Elite, 175 ELD-X, 180 HVLD, 180 Hybrids, and 184 Hybrids in various rifles chambered in 7RM with excellent success.  Very temp stable, clean burning, cooler burning, and very accurate.  ES/SD has always been very good as well.  Not the absolute best speeds, but consistent lot to lot across temps from -4 to 110+ from what I have found.

Its for my 280 AI , would you still use H1000 over retumbo?

Something that may help you, if you're using a ballistics calculator of some type, is this LRAB B/C chart, which takes into consideration the rifle barrel twist rate. 

The chart showing tested B/Cs is from Applied Ballistics Litz, and the twist rate recommendation is from Nosler. There are a few significant B/C differences.

Nosler LR AB BCs.docx

Nosler LR AB Twist Recommendations.docx

• Like 1

My preference is H1000 or Magnum over Retumbo for the 168's.  I have used all 3.  Now if you are pushing a much heavier bullet like the Berger EOL's Retumbo is the go to due to case capacity.  

By the way I really like Magnum, it has also been very stable and ball powder is great to work with fast, smooth, never gets stuck when metering.  

• Like 1

In my .280AI, I use H1000 under a 160 TMK @ 2991fps.

I use RL23 under a 175 Berger Elite @ 2975fps.

RL23 is very temp stable.  And accurate.  And gets good speeds.

• Like 1