Sign in to follow this  
stanley

AZGFD Dec 7th Commission Meeting - Education Funding

Point guard is voluntary no?

this super bonus point will generate some revenue 

it will also force others to buy into it that should not that don’t care to kill trophy’s but like to go annually. 

Charge more of point guard.

• Like 2

This will generate some funds for sure. Being the pessimist I see this a way of getting your feet in the door with g$f. So when this fails to make enuf the tags will go back on the chopping block again. This sounds to easy to succeed without a back door plan down the line. My .02 

9 hours ago, bassinix said:

I let the attack on my integrity go once, notice I never doubted or insisted that you source your bold faced lie about "1,000 tags." And truthfully, you can't source it anyhow other than to say, "well that's what I heard in a parking lot." 👍 Great bibliography there. But I'll go no further, as since you have decided to sink to insults and name-calling, I'll finish here knowing I won the conversation. Your uneducated opinions on the process are astounding. One more time, for those in the cheap seats. THE ARIZONA GAME AND FISH DEPARTMENT RAN THE SURVEYS ON THEIR WEBSITE THROUGH THEIR PUBLIC OUTREACH OPEN COMMENT PERIOD! 

Outside of that, I won't suffer the opinions of fools. If you think Wayne Pacele's extracurricular activities are going to slow down the HSUS, you really don't have a clue. So enjoy the view below ground with your head stuck in the sand. Meanwhile, myself and others will save your hunting rights as well.

You can thank us later. ✌️

Wow, someone has a different opinion then yours and its an attack on your integrity?  I do not question your integrity. I questioned the methods and how hot the fire really is.  I am not writing a dissertation on the decline of hunting, I am trying to form an opinion for myself from A) what I have seen  and B- what I studied from the data not processed through people with objectives. 

I may be a fool or I may have 145 IQ and am just asking for the raw data to form an opinion, instead believing the hyperbole you are pushing.  

Is my ostrich (head in the sand) method better for me than your Chicken Little (sky is falling) defense you are pushing.  Right now for me, YES. 

Also back to the Scooby Doo Question, Are you Don the Bass Guy?

The Super Bonus Point is the best idea out there and should be approved. 

I'm never one to be a cheapskate and open my wallet all the time to fund wildlife and conservation...

I haven't seen the need for the additional funding for "education", nor have I seen an action plan? Is there one?

Before I spend money, I like to see the specific need, and also the plan of action and exactly why, where, when and how that money is going to be spent.

Seems to me, raising a bunch of funds BEFORE you sell the need and have a plan in place to accomplish specific goals is putting the cart squarely in front of the horse. I'm more of a horse in front of the cart kind of guy. I just having seen a real solid plan, other than one group peddling fear that there is a need for a couple million bucks to save hunting.

Also, for those that believe advertising campaigns are the end-all-be-all to save hunting, and money fixes everything...you better get smart, and you better get smart in a hurry. The way to sway the public opinion of hunting is through good, common sense, grass-roots engagement. Hunters need to show up at meetings, at the legislature, and I can tell you from first hand involvement, we don't do it. Many take the time to scout, hunt, take the old lady and kids to Disneyland, but very, very, very few take the time (or spend a day of vacation) to attend a meeting, write their elected officials, or address the Legislature.  Another way to sway opinion is just by word of mouth...and being a positive spokesman for the sport. Invite some non-hunting friends to dinner once a month and serve up some wild game. The way we present ourselves to the non-hunting public will be what they remember when it comes time to vote. Seen it...and it works. If you let others do your work for you, don't be surprised if the end result isn't what you expected, or that their idea didn't get the desired result (seen that too, lots of times).

The need is very apparent.  If you did not pay attention to the last campaign the anti's launched, you should have.  If their bills make it to an Arizona vote, chances are we lose right now.  This would have ended bobcat and Mt. Lion hunting.  This state is turning into California faster than most think.  We are no longer a red state, but more of a blueish purple state.  Sucks real bad.  After thinking about other options of raising money, this does seem like one of the better ideas placed in front of us.  I HATE the idea of money= better odds, but something has to be done sooner than later.  

• Like 6

I don't think the need is that apparent, and I've followed the issues in AZ. I also don't think its a wise move to politicize an issue like this by R and D designation. I know a lot of hard core R's that don't care much for hunting, I also know some hard core D's that support hunting in a big way. I wont go much further than to say, that over my lengthy involvement in a handful of states on issues like this, ostracizing potential allies right out of the gate, on partisan politics, is never not the wrong move...

Not sure I believe a couple million bucks is going to change a ballot initiative on lion hunting in AZ, could be wrong.

More than one way to skin a cat (pun there), and I haven't seen many other options explored or recommended that solves the problem of BI's.

I'm not an AZ resident, so not my pig, not my farm....good luck and I'll kick in the extra $20-$25 for a point so I can say "I did all I could"...SMH.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, AZBIG10 said:

this super bonus point will generate some revenue 

it will also force others to buy into it that should not that don’t care to kill trophy’s but like to go annually. 

Charge more of point guard.

Commissioner Ammons talked about a lesser price to sell more volume, but the survey data shows nearly 60% are willing to spend $20 to $25 for a super point. Yes point guard is voluntary, I'm fairly sure that revenue goes into general funds. I'll make a proposal that it gets reappropriated to education. It definitely fits the bill as "discretionary funds." Good idea, within your idea, AZBIG10. 👍

7 hours ago, BuzzH said:

I don't think the need is that apparent, and I've followed the issues in AZ. I also don't think its a wise move to politicize an issue like this by R and D designation. I know a lot of hard core R's that don't care much for hunting, I also know some hard core D's that support hunting in a big way. I wont go much further than to say, that over my lengthy involvement in a handful of states on issues like this, ostracizing potential allies right out of the gate, on partisan politics, is never not the wrong move...

Not sure I believe a couple million bucks is going to change a ballot initiative on lion hunting in AZ, could be wrong.

More than one way to skin a cat (pun there), and I haven't seen many other options explored or recommended that solves the problem of BI's.

I'm not an AZ resident, so not my pig, not my farm....good luck and I'll kick in the extra $20-$25 for a point so I can say "I did all I could"...SMH.

Buzz,  how is it not needed when the town of Dewey Humbolt just voted to ban coyote contests in city limits.  Along with HSUA trying to get an initiative on the ballot this fall?   

Is your idea to do nothing and just see what happens?  

• Like 2

Is the super point the only funding source they’re working on? If so, I am a little disappointed they couldn’t come up with a couple different funding sources. Practically spent a year to come up with the super point and there’s no guarantee that will generate the money needed.

There must be more products that could be created to bring money in. 

8 hours ago, GJMauro12 said:

Is the super point the only funding source they’re working on? If so, I am a little disappointed they couldn’t come up with a couple different funding sources. Practically spent a year to come up with the super point and there’s no guarantee that will generate the money needed.

There must be more products that could be created to bring money in. 

Guy, they talked about raffling tags, too much screaming about "TAG GRAB." Talked about a voluntary education stamp, it won't work. Voluntary stamps don't sell or make any money in any state it's been tried. Remember this can't be a mandatory fee, has to be something people voluntarily pay for. Talked about a conservation membership, it's in place right now and has sold a WHOPPING 4 memberships in a month. 🙄. Talked about a huge AES type fundraising banquet at the AZGFD Expo every March at Ben Avery. It's still a possibility, but too many people making up lies and screaming about how it'll just make "hunting dignitaries" rich and the money won't go where it needs to. Another 🙄. So the super point is it. The model they rolled out to the Commissioners had some decent projections without requiring a HUGE participation percentage. Like 20% to 30% participation at $20 each super point could fund the education plan  Several think we should do nothing. Just not an option. There were lots of ideas, this got the best response from the public, and has the best projections. 

• Like 1

On 12/9/2018 at 12:46 AM, AZBIG10 said:

On 12/9/2018 at 2:27 PM, bassinix said:

I'll make a proposal that it gets reappropriated to education. It definitely fits the bill as "discretionary funds." Good idea, within your idea, AZBIG10. 👍

im for this. but i feel like if this is such an important thing to get done now, why didnt they think of this when they were creating point guard

• Like 1

On 12/9/2018 at 7:30 PM, Northern Pintail said:

Buzz,  how is it not needed when the town of Dewey Humbolt just voted to ban coyote contests in city limits.  Along with HSUA trying to get an initiative on the ballot this fall?   

Is your idea to do nothing and just see what happens?  

Constructively, lets look at this.  Would  a 3 million dollar education/marketing fund administered by the G&F have influenced the city council members of Humbolt in any way?  What would it take for them to allow the contest again? Did anybody know of this initiative before they voted?  

I don't think state run education plan would have helped on this one.  Once the cat ladys on the city council start loosing there pets to coyotes it may be time to ask the council to rescind the ruling.  

• Like 2

How many people hunt coyotes in the Dewy Humboldt city limits?  Big f rip.  LOL 

A Wildlife Conservation lottery would generate more money  and get the non hunters to help pay.   

• Like 2