Sign in to follow this  
stanley

AZGFD Dec 7th Commission Meeting - Education Funding

2 hours ago, GJMauro12 said:

How about they start mandatory harvest reporting and sell the data. That’s a product I would buy. 

I proposed developing a website database with the data they already have and setting up tables that give draw percentages. Basically a GoHunt linked to your portal account. Even offered to do the math and train their people for a few years.

I have no idea why it didn’t get any traction with the Dept. Mostly I just think the idea of taking on anymore technology right now is overwhelming them.

in regard to Point Guard, I requested the data a while back. It doesn’t make a ton of money, like maybe $200k since it started.

4 hours ago, trphyhntr said:

im for this. but i feel like if this is such an important thing to get done now, why didnt they think of this when they were creating point guard

Who knows? Honestly don't think the HSUS pressure was as great a few years ago as it has been the last 18 months. 

6 minutes ago, bassinix said:

Who knows? Honestly don't think the HSUS pressure was as great a few years ago as it has been the last 18 months. 

the loss of trapping has been brought up as a reason why we need the education funding. That was in like 1992. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Flatlander said:

in regard to Point Guard, I requested the data a while back. It doesn’t make a ton of money, like maybe $200k since it started.

How much money do they need though. I probably missed it but has there been any mention of how the funds will be spent to provide the education 

I'm just trying to wrap my head around who hunts coyotes in city limits????

Thanks for all who are commenting on this topic, helping us stay informed........I will tell you that dumping money into an "educational" program money has a way of disappearing, just take a look at education in our own state!

Who's gonna keep track of where it goes and what it is used for?

As far as pictures posted on the internet........those folks are gonna do what their bleeding hearts wanna do no matter what we post or don't post. Bloodied deer, bloodied coyotes doesn't really matter, they will hang us if we recluse and go hide! Closet hunters we will become and die a long hard death.

I won't spend extra money for a better chance but I don't care if somebody else does!!! 

Are we talking about money to educate or money to fight lawyers???

Thanks again for information............. plus or minus...........

1 hour ago, trphyhntr said:

How much money do they need though. I probably missed it but has there been any mention of how the funds will be spent to provide the education 

Seriously... Where have you been. 

• Like 1

Just now, AZkiller said:

Seriously... Where have you been. 

How will these funds be used to educate people like in the dewy coyote calling issue mentioned above? Haven’t seen anything, just read that it will be used for education. 

13 minutes ago, trphyhntr said:

How will these funds be used to educate people like in the dewy coyote calling issue mentioned above? Haven’t seen anything, just read that it will be used for education. 

Nice pretty billboard on the side of the freeway that nobody sees cause they are going too fast or on their phones. lol

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Flatlander said:

I proposed developing a website database with the data they already have and setting up tables that give draw percentages. Basically a GoHunt linked to your portal account. Even offered to do the math and train their people for a few years.

I have no idea why it didn’t get any traction with the Dept. Mostly I just think the idea of taking on anymore technology right now is overwhelming them.

I was thinking the same thing regarding the draw data. As well as finish whatever it it is they need to do with the online portals so we can have the family portals. Another service I'd happily pay for if need be.  

1 hour ago, bonecollector said:

Nice pretty billboard on the side of the freeway that nobody sees cause they are going too fast or on their phones. lol

I already saw a couple on i10 and i17.  They said something like Conserve and protect with a web address that I thought was wildlifehero.org but I tried looking and must have remembered it wrong. Think it was actually some sort of game and fish billboard though.  

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Flatlander said:

It seemed like a great idea when I heard you pitch it at bass pro. Why let these other private businesses increase sales on information the department already has. Maybe the department can see the potential and would rather save it for the general fund? 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Flatlander said:

Funny, that was part of my proposal to them too. I proposed a $100 per year club type membership. Include some fairly easy and cheap stuff:

Hat, window decal, access to a preferred fast pass type line at AZGFD office, access to walk up and buy 1st come-1st serve leftover tags eliminating a mail in requirement for members, discount off AZGFD merchandise and books, easy to read hunt draw data and success data, access to aerial survey data, access to fish stocking schedule a couple days prior to the specific date-not just the day after stocking, but I also proposed this included a super bonus point for all species. Just like a loyalty point column in the portal account. Super easy to do.l and monitor. Set it up on a recurring credit card for the $100 per year, and nobody would ever notice it, just like an Amazon Prime acct. With this, we'd only need about 16% participation of everyone who put in for a hunt to achieve $2,000,000. 

Anyhow, they never asked for any elaboration or anything. They got plenty of ideas. Only moved forward with a super bonus point. Don't know what else to say. 

4 hours ago, Non-Typical Solutions said:

I'm just trying to wrap my head around who hunts coyotes in city limits????

Thanks for all who are commenting on this topic, helping us stay informed........I will tell you that dumping money into an "educational" program money has a way of disappearing, just take a look at education in our own state!

Who's gonna keep track of where it goes and what it is used for?

As far as pictures posted on the internet........those folks are gonna do what their bleeding hearts wanna do no matter what we post or don't post. Bloodied deer, bloodied coyotes doesn't really matter, they will hang us if we recluse and go hide! Closet hunters we will become and die a long hard death.

I won't spend extra money for a better chance but I don't care if somebody else does!!! 

Are we talking about money to educate or money to fight lawyers???

Thanks again for information............. plus or minus...........

We're talking money for public education outreach. TV commercials, radio spots, billboards, print ads in local magazines and newspapers, social media boosted ads. People believe what they see and read. The more they're educated that AZGFD already does it right, the less they'll sign petitions to manage wildlife via a ballot box. 

On 12/9/2018 at 5:57 AM, TOBY said:

This will generate some funds for sure. Being the pessimist I see this a way of getting your feet in the door with g$f. So when this fails to make enuf the tags will go back on the chopping block again. This sounds to easy to succeed without a back door plan down the line. My .02 

Fair enough, I'm optimistic having seen the data at the presentation to the Commissioners.