Sign in to follow this  
stanley

AZGFD Dec 7th Commission Meeting - Education Funding

8 hours ago, GJMauro12 said:

How about they start mandatory harvest reporting and sell the data. That’s a product I would buy. 

There's talk of Mandatory harvest reporting coming, but first they have to simplify the draw. It's on the way. By the time we out in for turkey, javelina, spring buffalo next October...there won't be any paper applications. 95% put in online now as it is. Once they go more paperless, the mandatory reporting should, at minimum, be part of a questionnaire as you apply for tags the following year. Just another couple steps and boxes to check before you select your hunt numbers. 

I see the value of mandatory reporting  for biology and management, don't see the value worth buying personally as a hunter, though. Tell me your reasoning, Guy. 

On 12/9/2018 at 6:07 AM, idgaf said:

Wow, someone has a different opinion then yours and its an attack on your integrity?  I do not question your integrity. I questioned the methods and how hot the fire really is.  I am not writing a dissertation on the decline of hunting, I am trying to form an opinion for myself from A) what I have seen  and B- what I studied from the data not processed through people with objectives. 

I may be a fool or I may have 145 IQ and am just asking for the raw data to form an opinion, instead believing the hyperbole you are pushing.  

Is my ostrich (head in the sand) method better for me than your Chicken Little (sky is falling) defense you are pushing.  Right now for me, YES. 

Also back to the Scooby Doo Question, Are you Don the Bass Guy?

The Super Bonus Point is the best idea out there and should be approved. 

No, not Don the Bass guy. Whoever that is.

At least we agree to agree on the Super Bonus Point. Hunters united, is better than hunters divided. 

Just got an email today about buying you license from anywhere other that G&F I’ll post the A.R.S. They state that this new rule will allow full license fee to go to wildlife conservation. Doesn’t the price of our license go to the general fund? If so, how can they make this claim?  A change in the law (A.R.S. § 17-338) allows dealers to “collect and retain a reasonable fee as determined by the license dealer in addition to the fee charged to issue the license or permit.” The law also eliminates the 5 percent commission that dealers currently deduct and keep from sales of licenses, tags or stamps. That means after Jan. 1, the dealers will transmit to AZGFD the full value of the license for each sale and the dealers will retain the convenience fee, if any.

“The price that Arizona Game and Fish charges for hunting and fishing licenses, tags and stamps will remain the same as before,” said Doug Cummings, assistant director for support services. “Dealers will have the ability to charge a convenience fee, but that doesn’t necessarily mean they will. It will be up to each dealer whether or not they charge a fee.”

Cummings pointed out that receiving the full monetary value of each license will benefit department programs, allowing more money to be put into wildlife conservation.

Game and Fish is stipulating that dealers who charge a convenience fee must post the amount in an area clearly visible to customers.

In the past, license dealers were paid a fee for selling licenses on behalf of the game and fish, something like $1-$3. So if you paid $45 at walmart for a license, $42 of those dollars went to AZGFD and $3 went to the Walton family. Now all $45 goes to AZGFD and WalMart is allowed to charge you and additional amount for selling you the license. When the Dept says the full license amount is going to conservation, that is in the sense that the Dept, whose purpose is to conserve and protect, is now receiving the full amount.

I like it. This was a way to increase revenues without forcing anyone to cough up more money. If you buy from the AZGFD website, it will cost you the same amount it always has and you can pdf your license and make as many copies as you want and have it to reprint if you ever lose one.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, bassinix said:

There's talk of Mandatory harvest reporting coming, but first they have to simplify the draw. It's on the way. By the time we out in for turkey, javelina, spring buffalo next October...there won't be any paper applications. 95% put in online now as it is. Once they go more paperless, the mandatory reporting should, at minimum, be part of a questionnaire as you apply for tags the following year. Just another couple steps and boxes to check before you select your hunt numbers. 

I see the value of mandatory reporting  for biology and management, don't see the value worth buying personally as a hunter, though. Tell me your reasoning, Guy. 

I hunt the same unit every year and have  an interest in how successful each year is for hunters as a whole in a specific unit I guess. 

15 hours ago, bassinix said:

We're talking money for public education outreach. TV commercials, radio spots, billboards, print ads in local magazines and newspapers, social media boosted ads. People believe what they see and read. The more they're educated that AZGFD already does it right, the less they'll sign petitions to manage wildlife via a ballot box. 

That helps with the Macro, but will that do anything for the Micro Like Dewey/Humbolt Coyotes?  I think without  'boots on the ground' handing out pictures to the cat lady council people of coyotes eating pets, this would have passed with 10 million dollars for marketing/education on Macro level.  

• Like 1

On 12/11/2018 at 9:48 AM, idgaf said:

Constructively, lets look at this.  Would  a 3 million dollar education/marketing fund administered by the G&F have influenced the city council members of Humbolt in any way?  What would it take for them to allow the contest again? Did anybody know of this initiative before they voted?  

I don't think state run education plan would have helped on this one.  Once the cat ladys on the city council start loosing there pets to coyotes it may be time to ask the council to rescind the ruling.  

Hopefully it’s 3 million a year for the foreseeable future.   It is not going to be run by GF but an external entity that should have marketing experience.   

I do believe that some things can’t be prevented but believe that we can fight and win against those that are trying to outlaw hunting 

On 12/11/2018 at 1:01 PM, Non-Typical Solutions said:

I'm just trying to wrap my head around who hunts coyotes in city limits????

Thanks for all who are commenting on this topic, helping us stay informed........I will tell you that dumping money into an "educational" program money has a way of disappearing, just take a look at education in our own state!

Who's gonna keep track of where it goes and what it is used for?

As far as pictures posted on the internet........those folks are gonna do what their bleeding hearts wanna do no matter what we post or don't post. Bloodied deer, bloodied coyotes doesn't really matter, they will hang us if we recluse and go hide! Closet hunters we will become and die a long hard death.

I won't spend extra money for a better chance but I don't care if somebody else does!!! 

Are we talking about money to educate or money to fight lawyers???

Thanks again for information............. plus or minus...........

It’s not the hunting that will occur in town it’s the weigh in and everything else associated with it

1 hour ago, Northern Pintail said:

It’s not the hunting that will occur in town it’s the weigh in and everything else associated with it

So set up outside city limits? I weighed in at Anvil Rock Road over west of Seligman ......... it can be done!!!!

I get what you're saying though!!!

8 hours ago, Northern Pintail said:

Hopefully it’s 3 million a year for the foreseeable future.   It is not going to be run by GF but an external entity that should have marketing experience.   

I do believe that some things can’t be prevented but believe that we can fight and win against those that are trying to outlaw hunting 

Who is the outside entity that is proposed to over see this?

14 minutes ago, idgaf said:

Who is the outside entity that is proposed to over see this?

The Department provides the oversight. The company they have hired is called Off Madison Ave. Sasha Howell gave a wonderful and inspiring presentation during the September 21st Commission meeting. Off Madison has already been representing the current campaign that these funds will support. The Commission also provided some direction to Off Madison during that meeting, and according to Sasha, "the handcuffs are off", and we will soon see some more media messaging that is favorable to hunters and the Department. 

• Like 1

Can we assume this company is pro hunting and fishing and pro 2nd amendment? Would be nice to know we are being helped by some republicans and not some birkenstock wearing lefties...

6 minutes ago, TOBY said:

Can we assume this company is pro hunting and fishing and pro 2nd amendment? Would be nice to know we are being helped by some republicans and not some birkenstock wearing lefties...

I listened very intently to Sasha Howell. She is incredibly smart and fully understands marketing. She said that she wants to "get bold" with our message, and make it very clear who actually is in charge of wildlife conservation in Arizona, and how the system operates. 

I  am unaware of the company's political affiliation. However, the campaign is ultimately under the control of the Department, and they were hired to do the Departments bidding. Off Madison doesn't have free reign to say what they want. Part of the plan is to redirect funds from those groups that we would consider birkenstock wearing lefties, and to the Department. Those were her words. (Minus the birkenstock wearing lefties part)

10 minutes ago, TOBY said:

A quick google search of Sasha and her company I would say probably owns Birkenstock.  She has the "Arizona Office of Tourism" account and G&F likely got her from there.  Its ok if she owns Birkenstocks her campaign needs to appeal moderates and city dweller more than it does to hardcore gun toting hunters.