Sign in to follow this  
stanley

Late Hunt - Rutting???

My two youngest who are both in college at this point, were lucky enough to get late deer tags this year (Dec 14 - Dec 31)!  It's awesome, because it will coinicide with their Christmas breaks from school.  VERY excited!  (They also have both have 3C late cow tags, which is a nice bonus! ;))

Is it too early for any rutting to start up?  This fall has seemed to be just a bit cooler than some past years, and I'm hoping that may result in a slightly earlier rut than average.  Any opinions to share?  Anyone been out seeing anything that even resembles rutting action down south yet?

At this point, I think we will not be hunting until right after Christmas, but might try to sneak-out for a day or so prior.

Can't wait!

S.

:)

I saw a picture of a buck over the weekend that had a swollen neck. I hunted 29 for a few years on the late hunt and never saw any activity for Coues but had seen Mule Deer bucks with does.

• Like 1

We saw bucks starting to push each other around last weekend in 34A.  They seemed more playful than serious.

• Like 1

I was out Saturday in 24B and saw some decent rutting action. Two smaller bucks fully engaged pushing each other around and some bigger bucks chasing a doe around the hillside in the same area.

• Like 1

Maybe you'll get a small buck or two a little horny but nothing serious. The best rut activity with big bucks chasing does will be late January to mid February.

• Like 3

Headed to 21 on Thursday for my son.  Saw some fighting two weeks ago.  Hopefully we can find some mulies in the rut.  

• Like 1

Last week mule deer hunting in 20c, absolute no activity, saw 100 does 1 small buck. 

• Like 1

In southern AZ, bucks were sniffing does, but not chasing. Bucks pushing others around, but still in bachelor groups. Like Ernesto says.  Late Jan to early February.  Does go in heat the same time every year based on length of days. Its only shenanigans with bucks until then. 

• Like 1

Don’t the mike deer rut earlier?  I have heard this in the past and seems to be what I have seen in the past.  

• Like 1

Somebody in my family has had the 21 Dec whitetail tag the past two years in a row.  Last year the first mule deer rutting activity I witnessed was on 12/28.  The year before it was 12/24.  I spent almost the entire hunt out there both years.  The first whitetail rutting activity was 12/26 and 12/31.

One day before I die we’ll put this old wive’s tale to rest once and for all...the correlation of rutting and temperature is purely coincidental. It has 100% to do with daylight (aka “photoperiod”).

• Like 6