Sign in to follow this  
stanley

Late Hunt - Rutting???

Correct that the rut is controlled by day length/ photo period.  How ever day time rut activity is greatly influenced by weather.  When it’s hotter they are still rutting but more activity at night than day, cooler weather the more active they will be all day.  I believe the weather has less influence on Coues than other species.  

I watched bucks sparing and chasing does (little bucks) last weekend in northern coues units.  Day length shorter as you go north so those deer will start earlier and you can see some rut activity in late December.

When I hunted 100 miles south of the border it was February 5-10 and they were in full rut

• Like 2

Crap i'm the 5th thru the 12th and from what I'm hearing they won't be rutting. But in 23 Two yrs back they were getting it on 12/27. Well at least there still there you just have to catch them cruzing

• Like 2

I think the length of day and all that matters. the biggest bucks mostly come out when the getting is good. but just to see some decent rutting action i think it just takes one doe to go into heat to start triggering them. They go into heat around the same time, but not all at the very same time. 

• Like 3

This is all good info, guys.  I had no idea how closely the rut was tied to day-light (photo period....).  Learn something new every day.   Much appreciate the debate/chat......  Given that historically the success rate tends to be higher for the late Dec hunts, I'm definitely hopeful for a little more activity than on the early hunts that I'm used to (whether it be due to cool weather, fewer hunters, pre/early-rut stuff, or all of the above.... ;) ).

Bottom line;  I get to spend some time with one of my sons and my little sweetie (his little sister) hunting in the desert over Christmas break.   Precious time! 

S.

• Like 3

Well said Stanley: there aren’t many better ways to spend time with family, than in the outdoors. Have fun and keep us posted!

I think the "cool" weather and "New Moon" part comes into play, because the lack  of light and cool weather keeps them up in the daylight hours making it look like the rut is earlier or later. 

• Like 2

my guess is you might start seeing rutting action right about now but likely wont pickup till that period after Christmas. I've seen bucks rutting down on the border in 36b as late as mid Feb. Good luck it should be awesome. 

Been in a river bottom in 35a last two days and zero pre rut activity that I've seen.  But it's usually mid January for us. Photoperiod is spot on. Read a book where it mentioned an indoor facility with deer and they programmed the lights to simulate daylight. Had the deer drop horns twice in one year,if that's not photoperiod proof in don't know what is.  

• Like 1

Zero rut activity in the southern half of 23. I've seen nearly thirty does and no bucks. 

Slept in an outfitter tent in unit 8 from Nov26-Dec13. Saw bucks go from pre -rut to full on chasing with swollen necks. Had hunters in camp that didn’t have enough sense to get out of the rain(figuratively). 1/2 on bulls, 1/3 on cow. Oh well...

I don’t know anything about photoperiods, but I watched a mature buck chase two does vigorously this morning for over an hour. Sniffing and never lagging too far back. This was in unit 36 c at under 4000 feet. 

• Like 2

I have a friend who's parents drew the 6a rifle mule deer hunt opening morning he found three bucks with 12 does the largest being a BIG 5 point his dad got a shot at less than 200 yards missed and before he could get  off another shot a truck flew up op on them honking there horn and flashing there lights telling them they were poaching and that he had game and fish on the line. He scared the deer away they told him they had tags for the rifle hunt that had started that day. He took off quickly the archery hunt is closed this year do to the rifle  mule deer hunt. They saw 3 different group of archery hunters in pursuit of deer unbelievable that fellow hunters don't take the time to read the regulations   

• Wow! 1

12 minutes ago, 218buck said:

I have a friend who's parents drew the 6a rifle mule deer hunt opening morning he found three bucks with 12 does the largest being a BIG 5 point his dad got a shot at less than 200 yards missed and before he could get  off another shot a truck flew up op on them honking there horn and flashing there lights telling them they were poaching and that he had game and fish on the line. He scared the deer away they told him they had tags for the rifle hunt that had started that day. He took off quickly the archery hunt is closed this year do to the rifle  mule deer hunt. They saw 3 different group of archery hunters in pursuit of deer unbelievable that fellow hunters don't take the time to read the regulations   

Awe man that sucks