swampokie

Lion unit?

Looking forward to trying to call a lion in az this winter.  I know this is a difficult task but I know a lot of yall have accomplished it.  Trying to narrow down areas of the state to concentrate on.  Does any one have any suggestions?  Where are the highest concentrations of cats?  Any tips on calling? Thanks

2 hours ago, swampokie said:

Looking forward to trying to call a lion in az this winter.  I know this is a difficult task but I know a lot of yall have accomplished it.  Trying to narrow down areas of the state to concentrate on.  Does any one have any suggestions?  Where are the highest concentrations of cats?  Any tips on calling? Thanks

I would bet not many people have done it honestly, but I would try the southern units as Vowell mentioned.   I have a cousin who has killed two calling for turkeys in the springs. I was able to call one in in Mexico in the Spring, again calling for turkeys. I've never been able to call one in when I targeted them. 

• Like 5

i know where there is 4 possibly 5 lions and they ate a 216" muley. i wanted to try and call them at night, but i looked it up in the regs and i dont see that anymore. did they do away with the night calling

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, trphyhntr said:

i know where there is 4 possibly 5 lions and they ate a 216" muley. i wanted to try and call them at night, but i looked it up in the regs and i dont see that anymore. did they do away with the night calling

Yep. They claimed very few were doing it. 

I dont even know how they think they could even know. Never asked me of my 5 buddy’s who did. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, oz31p said:

Yep. They claimed very few were doing it. 

I dont even know how they think they could even know. Never asked me of my 5 buddy’s who did. 

There is a mandatory check in. They pull a tooth and check for attached proof of sex, then they ask your method of take. 

4 hours ago, Vowell said:

Southern units are overpopulated wth them.

When you say southern units are you talking mexico border desert or between the rim and desert primarily.  The unit ive been thinking of trying is one less favorable for lion hunting with hounds because of extreme and roadless terrain.  Its between the rim and the desert units 

1 minute ago, swampokie said:

When you say southern units are you talking mexico border desert or between the rim and desert primarily.  The unit ive been thinking of trying is one less favorable for lion hunting with hounds because of extreme and roadless terrain.  Its between the rim and the desert units 

There is no need to keep a unit you plan on hunting lions in a secret. That being said, you could probably throw a dart at a map of arizona and there will be a lion somewhere in the area. Find a terrain that suits you and give it heck. Brush and boulder choked canyons with good deer populations would be my first place to look

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, 452b264 said:

There is a mandatory check in. They pull a tooth and check for attached proof of sex, then they ask your method of take. 

Yes. They stated that not enough people were out calling lions at night. 

Its not like calling coyotes. Ya get very few takers , in my case none.  But I was out 25 nights. How can fish and game know how many people are out doing it?

If I remember right the timing between unloading a lot of lion opportunity and the legislation attempt to ban cat hunting was pretty close.  

What does it matter if turn out is low? 

3 minutes ago, MULEPACKHUNTER said:

If I remember right the timing between unloading a lot of lion opportunity and the legislation attempt to ban cat hunting was pretty close.  

What does it matter if turn out is low? 

That’s great question. That was the depts explanation. I bet very few people go after chukars but there’s still a season 

And if hardly anyone was doing it, why would it need to be outlawed? Enforcement couldn't be the issue as G&F can barely enforce any regs in the first place.

1 hour ago, swampokie said:

Yes, especially where there’s lots off deer. Just remember lion season in closed during summer months and I think there is a hotline you gotta call to make sure it’s open. Good luck, I’ve yet to see one while I’ve been hunting. They are definitely out there, lots of them to. 

• Thanks 1

We did a couple night calling sets.  Freaking spooky.  Especially how quiet cats are.  Had a bobcat within 20' of me and never knew it until my brother literally screamed like a girl.  Which almost caused me to crap myself.  That was the last night set we made.  

• Like 4
  • Haha 2