swampokie

Lion unit?

I'm going to try some mountain stuff after the late elk hunts are over.  Wait for a fresh snow, drive the roads until I hit a track, follow it for a bit and then start calling.  

• Like 2

I dotn know where you will be in Az, but heres a few locations for some cats.

lake pleasant area(hunt north west side) buddies still see them when fishing. we know of 4 different ones. and thats not the pet ones on the Dam or by the north marina if you hunt the park you have to be on the yavapi county side (north side) and its shotgun ONLY in the Park. The yavapi county side is from the eat ide of the Dam almost a start line to castle creek in the middle.

Bartlett lake east side all over. Canyon lake but good luck finding a place to hunt them they are there.

Apache lake west side. Alamo lake there one still roaming the south side of the dam. he has a den on the north side in those cliffs somewhere. the bobcat has a den somewhere on the south side

then of Course you have the whole north rim 12 a and b 13 a and b I like the slope on the north side of the platue going towards ferdonia on the main highway its easy access when there is snow. or just take the dirt road around it That go off the major highway before you climb the hill to Jacob lake Theres a major dirt road that goes to ferdonia. all those foot hills are good and most of the time your out of the snow. Mt trumble is a fantastic spot in 13a the north side to the base

one other spot is around wikiup its decent lots of bobcats. upper trout creek and lower trout creek roads as well.

I have no idea on spots south of phx as the places we use to hunt varmits in 31 32 33 have access issues.

lots of fun but I am to impatient to wait, usally get caught up in yotes and fox's. lions for me are more of a target of opportunity due to my Patience .

night calling is a ton of fun and like lance says scares the crap out of you. owls come in at night and those are the worse for the scare factor. before they allowed night hunting we wen night calling alot no shooting just calling. kit foxs come right up to you. they just appear.

dont know what units are open to lion this year as I havent looked only thing I do know is that they stopped the night hunts.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, lancetkenyon said:

We did a couple night calling sets.  Freaking spooky.  Especially how quiet cats are.  Had a bobcat within 20' of me and never knew it until my brother literally screamed like a girl.  Which almost caused me to crap myself.  That was the last set we made.  

Very spooky 

• Like 1

Tons of great advice here already. You might want to look at the San Carlos reservation too. I hunted it years ago and there were tons of cats. Not to mention the mountain lion tags were dirt cheap and you don't need an out-of-state hunting license - at least that's how it used to be.

• Like 1

I tried calling in pigs last Jan and had a lion charge me from out of nowhere. I can only assume he was already stalking me.  Maybe got to 50 yards before I crapped myself, stood up, and yelled.  No side arm and bow was on the ground or I'd have my cat.  Mistakes were made.

36's full of them. 

• Like 2

It's to bad they closed the night hunting. I didn't do a lot of it,  but a buddy and I called one in to about 20 yards. She came in running and then ate some buckshot. I'd definitely attempt it again if it were still open. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, lancetkenyon said:

We did a couple night calling sets.  Freaking spooky.  Especially how quiet cats are.  Had a bobcat within 20' of me and never knew it until my brother literally screamed like a girl.  Which almost caused me to crap myself.  That was the last set we made.  

Uh, you got bigger stones than me. I won’t even call my mom in the dark.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2