Blake

20B help? AND 20A?

Hey guys, 

i got me a tag for 20B for archery pig in january, i am doing my pre-scouting a little late but school is out so im going all havds on deck. Going to spend this entire weekend camping and backpacking out there and scouting for some spots. Anybody got any spots that i should check out? I know 20B a little around Lake Plesant but wanting to check out some other areas. Doing some goodle maps scouting before i head out there so let me know.

I also have a tag for febuary HAM In witch im Bowhunting as well, in 20A and that unit is unknown to me but i am picking up a flatline map before i head out there to get a better idea. so if anybody has any ideas about these units would be greatly appreceated. (and yes i thought of getting a flatline map of 20B, went to ross outdoors and they told me that flatline dosent have one for 20B.) 

Not trying to be a turd, and I no longer hunt javis, but aren't you allowed one per year? I know I'm about to be straightened out on this..

I can put you on pigs in both units if you want to pm me your phone number.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Edge said:

Not trying to be a turd, and I no longer hunt javis, but aren't you allowed one per year? I know I'm about to be straightened out on this..

I can put you on pigs in both units if you want to pm me your phone number.

Up to two annually. Not an expert but they cannot be from the exact same hunt number but can be the same unit. For example, one archery in unit X and then a HAM or rifle in same unit. Or can be different units. 

• Like 4

On 12/22/2018 at 11:20 AM, My Rights As An American said:

Up to two annually. Not an expert but they cannot be from the exact same hunt number but can be the same unit. For example, one archery in unit X and then a HAM or rifle in same unit. Or can be different units. 

exactly, so I drew two separate tags for two different hunts. IF I am successful I won't be able to harvest any more Javis for the year. 

*update* I went out this morning for opening day, about three miles behind hidden treasure mine right off of crown king road. just north of bumblebee. I put a camera out about a month ago to see what I could find and got 150 photos of cows. So this makes me think I'm in the wrong area. any tips will be greatly appreciated. I got pigs running around my neighborhood but I can't find any for the life of me. And I know what people are thinking about when I list where I was, of course there where no pigs there so its not like I'm giving away any secret pig spots. 

In five days of glassing 21 we found three herds.  That was five full days solid behind tripod and glass.  It takes time.  I have been very fortunate to have a great friend that taught me everything I know about hunting, and glassing was one of the first things he got me hooked on.  Lots of time and slow patience.  Good glass has made a difference for me.  

We will be in 20b for my son’s hunt in a few weeks.  Hopefully one of our normal herds is around.  

Trick is find and good herd , manage that herd, and keep quiet of that area to . ANYONE ! It will provide many years of good hunting. Pigs aren’t as easy as they used to be to hunt say 10-15 years ago. If you got a couple of good herds located it will provide good success for awhile unless severely broken up . Just my .02 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Eagle mountain ranch said:

Trick is find and good herd , manage that herd, and keep quiet of that area to . ANYONE ! It will provide many years of good hunting. Pigs aren’t as easy as they used to be to hunt say 10-15 years ago. If you got a couple of good herds located it will provide good success for awhile unless severely broken up . Just my .02 

Completely agree... ^^^ ___ Couldn't have explained it any simpler/better.

I agree with above and will even take it a step further to say never kill more than one per 5 in a herd.  Never kill one if 5 or less in a herd, only take one from a herd of 6-10, two from 11-15 etc.   By far javelina are the hardest animal to locate for me consistently.  I used to have a couple good spots but they have disappeared over the years.  I now have one good spot and my lips are sealed.  Anymore, I consider it a successful hunt just to locate a herd. 

IMO all the junior tags in the fall and the fact that you can now kill two javelina, has had a negative affect on herds and herd sizes.  

52 minutes ago, knothead said:

I agree with above and will even take it a step further to say never kill more than one per 5 in a herd.  Never kill one if 5 or less in a herd, only take one from a herd of 6-10, two from 11-15 etc.   By far javelina are the hardest animal to locate for me consistently.  I used to have a couple good spots but they have disappeared over the years.  I now have one good spot and my lips are sealed.  Anymore, I consider it a successful hunt just to locate a herd. 

IMO all the junior tags in the fall and the fact that you can now kill two javelina, has had a negative affect on herds and herd sizes.  

I agree it's probably not about locating a herds much, its about locating a herd that can sustain you harvesting one.