Sign in to follow this  
Saguaro

Custom Gunstocks

I'm interested in getting a high grade walnut stock made.  Is there anyone left that can make them?  It seems like I can get any composite or fiberglass stock I want, but to have someone build a wood stock, it's not happening.  I know it will be expensive and want it to have the proper LOP and cheek weld.  So far, what I'm finding is that the old timers that did it are no longer with us and the younger guys can't or won't do it. 

Maybe I need to forget about it.  I'm in construction and I see the same thing happening with qualified trim carpenters.  

Have you thought about giving Boyd's gubstocks a call? I believe they do custom work. I have a Boyd's on my rifle and love it.

5 minutes ago, MTNSGT said:

Have you thought about giving Boyd's gubstocks a call? I believe they do custom work. I have a Boyd's on my rifle and love it.

I've thought about doing that.  I would want to meet face to face with them before hand to personally select the blank and go over options which is why I kind of wanted someone in AZ.  About 35 years ago my dad got a model 52 Winchester stock custom made by Hunters Haven in Flagstaff that turned out really good.  It's one of the nicest I've seen and it doesn't even have checkering.  

LRI has made some awesome wooden stocks.  But not like presentation grade.  More like tactical shaped wood.

I believe Dennis Olsen (Montana?) is still doing work. Seems like there is a company called Canyon Creek that was making some nice wood stocked customs.

At the next price point up would include the guild builders. PL Holehan inc in Tucson builds some great rifles.

Here is my guild member built .257 Roberts Mauser sporter, is this what you are thinking of?

2116358330_Copyof.257-2_edited.thumb.JPG.810a1bb166f736d7efc741d0f05eb03f.JPG

• Like 3

That's exactly what I was thinking about.  

I'm in the process of getting a barreled action built in 6mm ppc and since I have all of the practical sporters I want, this will be a showpiece that will see the range and maybe some prairie dog shooting.  I won't be hunting or fighting brush, fences, and weather with it so it could be an heirloom that should stay nice forever.

• Like 1

I cant help you with a stock maker but paul and sharon dressel have an excellent selection of stock blanks you can check out online.  Their blanks are seasoned and at the correct moisture content. I bought this piece with fiddleback throughout as a blank from them . 

20181214_123611.jpg

• Like 1