Sign in to follow this  
Coach

Scope mounting for Tikka T3/T3x

I've been looking at various options and I wanted to get opinions here on good/bad etc. It comes with grooves for mounting Warne type bases as well as tapped for others. I've seen some folks add a rail, but I'm not sure what the added benefit is of a rail when it's already grooved. I'm definitely looking for something that takes advantage of the built-in recoil lug hole.

Thanks in advance. 

I use both the Warne rings and Talley ultra lights on my tikka's.  If my memory is correct the Warnes only weigh 2.5oz per set more than the Talleys.  The Warnes are the simple solution if you want to use the recoil lug hole.  Tikka Performance makes a rail for the T3/T3X if you think you need one.   IMO go with the Warnes if you want SOLID, go with the Xlow talleys if you like your scope mounted low.

• Like 1

The Talley lightweights  have been rock solid on our two Tikkas.  But, they are both 260 pairs Remington with low recoil.  

1 hour ago, AZbowhntr said:

I put an EGW rail and rings on my Tikka and really like it.

+1 on the EGW rail.  I used Warne steel rings.  Versatile & rugged.

I'v had a few Tikka's and always use the Talley Light Weight Rings on the T3 in 308, a M695 on 30.06 and a Savage Axis in the lowly 243. Never had a problem with them. Just torque them correctly with blue loctite and go for it. Personally I think a rail is fugly but maybe it will give you more MOA.

The main advantage to using the grooves milled in the top of the receiver is it allows you to mount your scope as low as possible, thus contributing to a positive cheek weld.  I used Warne rings, and they clamp on with a bulldog grip, they look good, are lightweight, and don't have anything sticking out to catch on stuff.  If you plan to wear your barrel out and rebarrel right away, you can always get the quick-release option for easy return to zero.  Warne's are great rings.  I understand Talley's are also topnotch.

I can't imagine a rail on a 6 1/2 # rifle, but all the Chris Kyle wannabes seem to love those things.  Pretty useful I guess if you want to shoot targets the size of a Volkswagen at 1200 yds.

forepaw

• Like 1

Hey guys, I really appreciate the input. I was leaning towards the Warnes, and will probably go that direction. Not sure what scope I'm going to put on it yet. All mine are in the 50mm variety, but this is going to be a light weight setup for mountain hunting and backpacking. It's in 6.5 creedmoore so it's not really meant to be a "long range" gun by today's standards. 

In have some T3 high Warne 1” rings for a Tikka you can have, they work great for a 50mm bell. PM me if you want them. Also have a T3 DNZ 1” high set up, would sell for $20, worked with a 50mm bell. I switched to 30mm scopes on both my Tikkas, hence the leftovers...might have a 0moa EGW rail for a T3 laying around too.

9 minutes ago, Siwash said:

In have some T3 high Warne 1” rings for a Tikka you can have, they work great for a 50mm bell. PM me if you want them. Also have a T3 DNZ 1” high set up, would sell for $20, worked with a 50mm bell. I switched to 30mm scopes on both my Tikkas, hence the leftovers...might have a 0moa EGW rail for a T3 laying around too.

Just curious, why the change to 30mm vs. 1"?

forepaw

1 hour ago, forepaw said:

Just curious, why the change to 30mm vs. 1"?

forepaw

Looking for a scope for my sons rifle and seem to get better options these days with 30mm. 

16 hours ago, Siwash said:

That's very generous of you - thank you. PM sent.