Zeke-BE

Keep the 6.5-270AI or get the .280AI

Some of you have seen the build of my 6.5-270AI.  The gun shoots great with 

6.5 142 SMK

R23 56g ----3,055fps

Case Nosler .270 fire formed to 6.5 with 40 degree shoulder, CCI 250 primer

Tikka .270 action

200 yard 0.709, MOA 0.35

Ive killed 1 deer and 1 antelope exceeding 400 yards 1 shot dirt naps with great results of the SMK.  I have shot this rifle almost to the max of barrel life.  I have a few hundred rounds to go before "suggested" life of the bartlin barrel.  But my brass fire formed is about up and will need to fire form more brass.  So I thought why not shoot a bunch of 25.06 rounds and go away from the .270 and then get a new barrel. (.270 you get the longer necks)  The reason to go to the .25-06 is when fire formed I don't need to do any neck trimming for length and neck tuning while the .270 brass I had to turn the neck once and trim the neck almost after every time I shot it (that got annoying).  Just lots of brass work to be done.  Im just done with all the brass work.  I just want to load and shoot!  So I can fire form maybe a couple hundred 25-06 and then get a new barrel on and be ready for the new barrel and no wasted time and barrel life.

Or------(the big debate Im having)

I can just go ahead and shoot up the rest of the barrel and buy the new barrel and chamber for the .280AI.  That way I can just buy the Nosler .280AI brass (less prep time that I like) and also feel pretty good for my elk hunts as well.  I do have a 300 win mag though.  

On a side note I like 6.5s and always wanted a 6.5x55.  So I can have the .280AI and also get and work on a fun 6.5x55.  But I also would like to see what the 6.5.270 can do with the TMK or the 146 matrix 

Help me choose!  Which one and why???

Here is that rifle!

IMG_1189.thumb.JPG.b392d69c03b40fad066a49eafec2cc8b.JPG

For myself I would sell the 300 win. put new barrel chambered for 280 AI, and build/buy a 6.5 x 55.  The 280 AI will handle the larger game, it doesn't need a muzzle break, and I dont like to deal with all that brass prep. Did I mention its also a sweet shooting round. I also like the idea of having a swede!

• Like 1

6.5x55 AI... 😁 

I love a good old 6.5x55, but a 280AI would be nice too. 

Man not much help right now :(

I'd keep shooting the current barrel until it was done. How many rounds are through it? Do you have access to a bore scope? Once the barrel is shot out, and you'll know,  I'd go ahead and re barrel to the same chambering as you a;ready have the dies. Cant see that an elk would know the difference.

You mention having to trim cases every firing. Something seems wrong there, an AI case should stretch very little. Are you sure your reamer/chamber requires neck turning the .270 brass when necking down? That's not much of a diameter reduction. My 6.5-06 does fine w/o neck turning, neck clearance wise, using Winchester .270 brass, although I do use lightly turned necks for my hunting rounds.

Yeah we measured the thickness and according to spec it needed to me necked down.  After I bump the shoulder back .02 back stretches the brass neck longer.  I measure every time.  There aren't that many 6.5-270s just the 6.5-06. (just wanted something different) I still use the 6.5-06AI die but to fit the longer neck of the .270 you have to shave the shell holder down.

Thinking you meant to type 0.002.

Not understanding how setting the die for a longer case neck can maintain your shoulder datum.

14 minutes ago, Mike S said:

Thinking you meant to type 0.002.

Not understanding how setting the die for a longer case neck can maintain your shoulder datum.

Not setting the die will give me a longer neck or maintain the shoulder datum.  The 6.5-06 resizing die will only resize the neck of a 6.5-06 length.  If I don't shave the holder down I have a 6.5-06 neck size with last 1/8 of the neck length not resize.  To get the full length of the neck size properly I need to shave the shell holder for the .270 brass.  Now when I bump the shoulder back "0.002 :)" it increases neck length almost every time.  Everybody says it shouldn't do that but it does for me.  Another reason I want to give up with the .270 brass.    

Rebarrel to 6.5x55 AI.  Buy excellent bulk Lapua brass (I am on 19th firing 6.5x55 with no incipient case head sep. and no neck cracking)  at better prices than other calibers to fireform.   Post your progress here so we can all learn something!

forepaw

• Like 1

Stomp 442 on the forum 

1 hour ago, forepaw said:

Rebarrel to 6.5x55 AI.  Buy excellent bulk Lapua brass (I am on 19th firing 6.5x55 with no incipient case head sep. and no neck cracking)  at better prices than other calibers to fireform.   Post your progress here so we can all learn something!

forepaw

I do believe the 6.5 x 55 needs a long action? I would still sell the 300  and re-barrel the Tikka in a 280 AI, then build a 6.5 x 55. (Just my 2 cents) What kind of velocity do you get with the 6.5 x 55 AI?

• Like 1

Anybody have actual experience between 6.5x55 ai vs 6.5x284?

not that I’m against fire forming but it sure does get boring.

1 hour ago, 452b264 said:

I do believe the 6.5 x 55 needs a long action? I would still sell the 300  and re-barrel the Tikka in a 280 AI, then build a 6.5 x 55. (Just my 2 cents) What kind of velocity do you get with the 6.5 x 55 AI?

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/4512477/Searchpage/1/Main/339051/Words/6.5x55ai/Search/true/New_build_ladder_test#Post4512477

This guy has built at least one, and seems to have a lot of know-how.  His call sign is clark98ut.  If you research his posts, I think you will find some current info.  The 6.5x55 does need a long action.

forepaw

3 hours ago, 452b264 said:

I like it.  Tikkas are long action anyways.  Never did much with my 300 anyways