Zeke-BE

Keep the 6.5-270AI or get the .280AI

2 hours ago, cjl2010 said:

Anybody have actual experience between 6.5x55 ai vs 6.5x284?

not that I’m against fire forming but it sure does get boring.

Ive read they are about the same powder volume after the swede is AI.  But shooting it I would like to hear.  

• Like 1

Both Lapua Brass, both similar capacity, one 35° the other 40° shoulder, one requires fireforming.

I would hit the easy button

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Zeke-BE said:

I like it.  Tikkas are long action anyways.  Never did much with my 300 anyways

I like the idea of having a swede! If you ever thought about a 6.5 creedmoor cjI2010 has a nice one for sale, at a good price.

• Like 2

I have loaded for a straight 6.5x55 Swede and a 6.5-.284 Norma.  With 140s, I got 2900 from the Swede.  And 3000 from the 6.5-.284 Norma.  I would think the 6.5x55AI would match the 6.5-.284 Norma.  But you will have 100 or more rounds down the pipe just in fire forming loads. 

What I have been doing with fire forming loads is same as regular load development.  Do a load development and get a good shooting fire forming load, and once I get 25 or so fired cases, start on that load development too.  Usually, out of 100, I have 50 or so cases left to fire form, but I load them up and use them for varmint hunting.  And have 50 or so fired cases that are full power loads of twice fired brass for hunting.  That way, you don't just shoot them to shoot them.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, 452b264 said:

I like the idea of having a swede! If you ever thought about a 6.5 creedmoor cjI2010 has a nice one for sale, at a good price.

I got a nice built 6.5 creedmoor from Eric at Axis.  Sadly I've been focus on other stuff and shot it with factory rounds and haven't made a load yet.  Plus I need to get a new scope for it.  I hope the gun gods don't strike me down for dragging my feet

• Like 2

I'd shoot the barrel out and rechamber...

Personally, I'm over anything that needs fireforming or doesn't say Norma, Nosler, Lapua, or Alpha on the casehead....

The 6.5 and 7mm bullet race is awesome. Can't go wrong with either...

I shoot a .280 Ackley of it matters. If doing it, throat for the 175 eldx/180eldm...

• Like 1

Don't overlook a .280 Remington, not the AI, just an old school .280. I just got one worked on and it is showing promise. Pencil thin barrel.

1223181511a_HDR.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 10Turkeys said:

Don't overlook a .280 Remington, not the AI, just an old school .280. I just got one worked on and it is showing promise. Pencil thin barrel.

1223181511a_HDR.jpg

Mine shoots very well 

Totally depends on what other chamberings you have. 

The 6.5CM covers 6.5mm, but lacks about 300fps compared to the 6.5-.270AI.

A .280AI would step you up in bullet weight availability.  But if you already have a 7RM, really no use.

I would stick with what you have.  Your this far down the rabbit hole why stop now if the gun shoots good.

I with you on the fire forming, it’s a bit of a  pain, I can barely make myself trim cases let alone fire forming. 

I have a 6.5-270 and it’s a nice round, kind of a pointless wildcat with all the established 6.5 variants around now, but it shoots good no reason to rebarrel until it doesn’t shoot.

On 12/16/2018 at 5:33 PM, cjl2010 said:

Anybody have actual experience between 6.5x55 ai vs 6.5x284?

not that I’m against fire forming but it sure does get boring.

Fire forming can be lots of fun. Head out to the range, put out at target, then fire your blanks at it. Sooner or later someone will ask you what you are doing. With your best poker face you politely explain you are target shooting but you want to save money on targets so you're not using bullets. Some people have a lot of difficulty processing that one.

• Like 1