Sign in to follow this  
Rag Horn

Is this archers paradox or bad form?

So I have narrowed it down to one of four things. It’s either bad shooting form, the archers paradox, an optical illusion or something else. I am hoping you guys have some insight on this. 

Sometimes when i shoot shoot I see or think I see my arrow kinda snake down range. I tried to draw it below. It doesn’t happen every shot. But every once in a while I see it. What is causing this?

I have wondered if maybe inadvertently I occasionally put too much pressure on the bow string with my my lip and nose anchor points. 

Thoughts? Thanks 

091B7D08-D6D9-4D90-A71E-E38BBF4DE0F0.jpeg

Spine issue. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, buddydog said:

Try shooting through paper. You may find its a problem with form, rest, fletching or spine

I shot it through paper when I bought and had the bow tuned and it “punched bullet” holes. So I think my set up is ok  but my shooting form is highly suspect  however

12 minutes ago, oz31p said:

What are you shooting?

I am shooting a 70 pound draw 28” gold tip hunter XT arrow. 

Thanks for the help

It's called fishtailing... could be caused by one or more reasons. Start with tuning your bow then work on your form. Consult with someone who knows what they are doing. Ed F

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BOWUNTR said:

It's called fishtailing... could be caused by one or more reasons. Start with tuning your bow then work on your form. Consult with someone who knows what they are doing. Ed F

Ok I will do my research on fishtailing. I didn’t know it had a name so I was unable to really dig up any info online. Thanks. 

34 minutes ago, CatfishKev said:

Take a sharpie and mark the arrow. See if it's the same one everytime.

Oh good idea. I have them all numbered for something else I was trying to troubleshoot earlier. Would be easy to do. Thanks. 

Archers paradox on a bow shooting a release is up and down, with fingers its left to right.  If your setup is legit fishtailing then its a symptom of multiple adjustments out of tune.

I would do two things.  First a bareshaft tune, that will should show you any issues with your tune.  After do a walk back tune to fix the finer adjustments.  Usually once you bareshaft tune a setup it will shoot fine afterwards.  

Also it just could be a optical illusion as well with your eye just catching the lighter fletching and following that down range.  

• Like 1

Depending on arrow rest could be something as simple as the nock turned and fletchings are hitting it.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, elecshoc said:

Archers paradox on a bow shooting a release is up and down, with fingers its left to right.  If your setup is legit fishtailing then its a symptom of multiple adjustments out of tune.

I would do two things.  First a bareshaft tune, that will should show you any issues with your tune.  After do a walk back tune to fix the finer adjustments.  Usually once you bareshaft tune a setup it will shoot fine afterwards.  

Also it just could be a optical illusion as well with your eye just catching the lighter fletching and following that down range.  

If a bow is out of tune will it fishtail everytime? I only see it once in while which made me believe it was something I was doing to cause it. I believed up to this point if it was a tuning issue the fishtailing would be more consistent? Am I wrong in thinking that? Thanks for the replies. 

2 hours ago, CatfishKev said:

Depending on arrow rest could be something as simple as the nock turned and fletchings are hitting it.  

When I first bought my bow I had a problem with fletchings hitting my drop away rest and I had to turn them to miss the cable and rest. I hope I ruled that out as an issue but I should re check that. Thanks