Next month will be my first time going to Mexico to hunt coues deer. What do i need to know? What are some do’s/don’t’s? I’m going in a group of 5 guys. 1 guy has prior experience, he went last year to another ranch. The ranch we are hunting is pretty far south. We will be driving to Hermosillo then the ranch is 3 hrs or so east of there. 

I’m not exactly sure where the ranch is yet. I know we are meeting the rancher in Hermosillo and following him to the ranch. When i find out I’ll let you know, thanks. 

On 12/17/2018 at 1:28 PM, codyhuntsaz said:

Next month will be my first time going to Mexico to hunt coues deer. What do i need to know? What are some do’s/don’t’s? I’m going in a group of 5 guys. 1 guy has prior experience, he went last year to another ranch. The ranch we are hunting is pretty far south. We will be driving to Hermosillo then the ranch is 3 hrs or so east of there. 

Cody, all the do's and dont's , documents for your trophy, truck, yourself etc etc should have already been answered and/or taken care by your outfitter.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ernesto C said:

Cody, all the do's and dont's , documents for your trophy, truck, yourself etc etc should have already been answered and/or taken care by your outfitter.

No outfitter....5 guys going to a ranch. Somewhat DIY. There will be cooks, a cowboy or 2 and the rancher. That’s why I’m asking what i should know. 

Be sure you have a passport or passport card so you can get back into the USA. Since you will be in Sonora only, you shouldn't need a tourist form or vehicle permit. The rancher also should have all the proper paperwork to get your deer back into the USA. Best bet so you're not hassled by USFW at the border is to have the hide/cape frozen solid. 

• Like 1

Jay Scott has a pretty good podcast about everything you need to know and do when hunting in Mexico. I would start there

• Like 2

No

1 hour ago, trophyseeker said:

Be sure you have a passport or passport card so you can get back into the USA. Since you will be in Sonora only, you shouldn't need a tourist form or vehicle permit. The rancher also should have all the proper paperwork to get your deer back into the USA. Best bet so you're not hassled by USFW at the border is to have the hide/cape frozen solid. 

You Do need your Only Sonora Permit. And when you show up back at the border DO NOT have the cape frozen solid.

It's pretty easy to get into Mx but getting out with cape and antlers is the hardest part. Make sure you have the contract and all UMA forms and that you filled out the gun info on the US side. You wont need the gun permit to come back but will need the ID card filled out and kept with you.

All ticks need to be off the cape and have been frozen for 24 hours and then unthawed prior to getting to the border..all brain, meat tissue etc..needs to be off of the skull. Either euro or capped. 

Good luck cant wait to go down again in 3 weeks.

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, Ernesto C said:

You Do need your Only Sonora Permit. And when you show up back at the border DO NOT have the cape frozen solid.

You're right, Ernesto. I was thinking about the country-wide vehicle permit and forgot the Only Sonora vehicle permit, although I didn't get one either on my deer or turkey hunt and got away with it.

Have they changed the recommendation about freezing capes so no ticks will be brought into the US? We all had ours frozen, and the USWS guy just did a cursory glance into the cooler when we told them they were frozen. 

36 minutes ago, Ernesto C said:

No

Is the “Only Sonora” permit something you can buy at the border or do you buy online before the trip? 

3 minutes ago, trophyseeker said:

You're right, Ernesto. I was thinking about the country-wide vehicle permit and forgot the Only Sonora vehicle permit, although I didn't get one either on my deer or turkey hunt and got away with it.

Have they changed the recommendation about freezing capes so no ticks will be brought into the US? We all had ours frozen, and the USWS guy just did a cursory glance into the cooler when we told them they were frozen. 

They require the cape to be frozen for at least 24hrs before crossing the border. Every agent is different..but there have been cases where the hunter has to wait 2 or 3 hours for the cape to be unfrozen so it can be inspected. 

If the cape is frozen solid, sometimes they have a hard time trying to unfold the cape to be inspected and they are going to make you wait. You already have 6 hours on the road and want to get home and rest. So yes, freeze the cape..but make sure is not frozen solid when you cross the border.

Make sure there are no ticks dead or alive on the cape. If they find one, they'll throw it away.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, codyhuntsaz said:

Is the “Only Sonora” permit something you can buy at the border or do you buy online before the trip? 

Yes either way...you can buy it online or you can buy it at the border.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Ernesto C said:

They require the cape to be frozen for at least 24hrs before crossing the border. Every agent is different..but there have been cases where the hunter has to wait 2 or 3 hours for the cape to be unfrozen so it can be inspected. 

If the cape is frozen solid, sometimes they have a hard time trying to unfold the cape to be inspected and they are going to make you wait. You already have 6 hours on the road and want to get home and rest. So yes, freeze the cape..but make sure is not frozen solid when you cross the border.

Make sure there are no ticks dead or alive on the cape. If they find one, they'll throw it away.

Very interesting.