1 hour ago, codyhuntsaz said:

Another question.....the truck we are taking down is in my buddy’s company’s name, the ranger and trailer are in his name. His last name is in the company name ie..”Johnson Plumbing”  his name is Tim Johnson. Will this be an issue? 

I can't give you a definitive answer because I've never had such a situation. I will only guess and say it shouldn't be, only because the company name is as you say. I think you might also have to get a permit for the trailer, as well. I did when I pulled a bassboat down to one of the lakes in Sonora. Maybe the Ranger, too, if it has a plate on it. And the tolls will be slightly higher because of the trailer. Me? I would leave the Ranger at home and not ask for trouble. 

Also, don't forget to buy Mexican car insurance. U.S. insurance is worthless down there., and if you get in a wreck without Mex. insurance, you go spend time where El Chapo almost did. 😉 You can buy it online. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, trophyseeker said:

I can't give you a definitive answer because I've never had such a situation. I will only guess and say it shouldn't be, only because the company name is as you say. I think you might also have to get a permit for the trailer, as well. I did when I pulled a bassboat down to one of the lakes in Sonora. Maybe the Ranger, too, if it has a plate on it. And the tolls will be slightly higher because of the trailer. Me? I would leave the Ranger at home and not ask for trouble. 

Also, don't forget to buy Mexican car insurance. U.S. insurance is worthless down there., and if you get in a wreck without Mex. insurance, you go spend time where El Chapo almost did. 😉 You can buy it online. 

The reason we are taking the ranger is to have enough vehicles for us to get to different spots on the ranch so we aren’t dropping guys off and picking them up. There are 5 of us going down so we would like to be able to split up and hunt. We already have the Mexican Insurance figured out, but didn’t know if the company vehicle would confuse things. 

Pretty sure the person whose name is on the registration has to be there to prove ownership and that it is not stolen.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, codyhuntsaz said:

Another question.....the truck we are taking down is in my buddy’s company’s name, the ranger and trailer are in his name. His last name is in the company name ie..”Johnson Plumbing”  his name is Tim Johnson. Will this be an issue? 

Get a notarized letter confirming that your buddy is the owner of the truck and company.

NOTE: Some "work trucks" are 3/4 ton trucks with tool box or tool boxes on the back; also, some work trucks are "dually" or flat beds, those trucks aren't allowed outside the Free Zone.

If your buddy's truck is a 3/4 ton truck but is not a dually and it has no tool box or boxes on the back and is not a flat bed, you'll be ok.

Thanks.

Ernesto C.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Ernesto C said:

Get a notarized letter confirming that your buddy is the owner of the truck and company.

NOTE: Some "work trucks" are 3/4 ton trucks with tool box or tool boxes on the back; also, some work trucks are "dually" or flat beds, those trucks aren't allowed outside the Free Zone.

If your buddy's truck is a 3/4 ton truck but is not a dually and it has no tool box or boxes on the back and is not a flat bed, you'll be ok.

Thanks.

Ernesto C.

Thanks for the info, his truck is a 3/4 ton diesel, but not a flatbed or dually and no tool box. 

9 hours ago, Ernesto C said:

Thanks.

Ernesto C.

Ernesto,

What was the reason in 2017 that those guys with the 3/4 Ton weren't allowed to cross? Something to do what the GVW on the vehicle registration.

16 hours ago, codyhuntsaz said:

The reason we are taking the ranger is to have enough vehicles for us to get to different spots on the ranch so we aren’t dropping guys off and picking them up. There are 5 of us going down so we would like to be able to split up and hunt. We already have the Mexican Insurance figured out, but didn’t know if the company vehicle would confuse things. 

Yeah, I understand that. Hopefully you won't have any issues with it.

The PTB in Mexico are very concerned about having vehicles, etc. being brought into the country and being sold there. So they really keep track of everything. I've never done the Sonora Only permit, so don't know if it's the same as the country-wide one where they require a $400 deposit on a CC when you get the permit. It's quickly refunded within a couple days after you turn in the permit when leaving Mexico. Ernesto probably has the scoop on the Only Sonora permit. 

I went on a DIY hunt in Mexico here's what I know.  We paid for the license and access to the ranches everything else was on our own.

1) You need to have someone outfitter or contact that really know the ropes, it is essential.  You want someone in your party that can speak the language, that is very important.

2)Gun permits, vehicle registration all your paperwork has to match EXACTLY.  Your situation with the registration in the company could give you problems.  Ammo separate from guns.

3) Don't take standard calibers, Things like 308, 223, 30-30.  You cant just go buy ammo in Mexico some of the check points will try to seize your ammo just because they want it.  Take  stuff like .257, short mags anything that is not real common.  We had to buy ourselves out of a check point because the officials wanted our 30-30 ammo.

4) They take American , but no your conversion rates because they will try to get the best of you.  At some point somewhere someone will try to screw you out of your money, its a way of life there.  Just grin and take it, that's why having someone who speaks and knows the ropes will really help you with that.  One time fishing they charged us like $50 bucks to fly in to a lake.  They charged $400 to fly out, we forgot to negotiate that, oh well just laugh it off we did. 

5) Once you get away from the border towns the Mexican people are good people, treat them good, tip good they need it.  Driving through you will see its a real 3rd world country, its an eye opener.  Simple things we take for granite like buying ice, its different there.

6)  things will go wrong expect it, enjoy it.  We were suppose to stay at the main house which was really nice, the main owner was having a party kick us out to the other side of the ranch in an old Vaquero's shack.  Once again oh well what do you do, it turned out to be a blast and a fun camp.

7)Its a great fun experience and a Coues hunters dream, don't stress just take care of what everyone above has said and you will have a great time.   happy hunting

• Like 3

1 hour ago, KoosCrazy said:

I went on a DIY hunt in Mexico here's what I know.  We paid for the license and access to the ranches everything else was on our own.

1) You need to have someone outfitter or contact that really know the ropes, it is essential.  You want someone in your party that can speak the language, that is very important.

2)Gun permits, vehicle registration all your paperwork has to match EXACTLY.  Your situation with the registration in the company could give you problems.  Ammo separate from guns.

3) Don't take standard calibers, Things like 308, 223, 30-30.  You cant just go buy ammo in Mexico some of the check points will try to seize your ammo just because they want it.  Take  stuff like .257, short mags anything that is not real common.  We had to buy ourselves out of a check point because the officials wanted our 30-30 ammo.

4) They take American , but no your conversion rates because they will try to get the best of you.  At some point somewhere someone will try to screw you out of your money, its a way of life there.  Just grin and take it, that's why having someone who speaks and knows the ropes will really help you with that.  One time fishing they charged us like $50 bucks to fly in to a lake.  They charged $400 to fly out, we forgot to negotiate that, oh well just laugh it off we did. 

5) Once you get away from the border towns the Mexican people are good people, treat them good, tip good they need it.  Driving through you will see its a real 3rd world country, its an eye opener.  Simple things we take for granite like buying ice, its different there.

6)  things will go wrong expect it, enjoy it.  We were suppose to stay at the main house which was really nice, the main owner was having a party kick us out to the other side of the ranch in an old Vaquero's shack.  Once again oh well what do you do, it turned out to be a blast and a fun camp.

7)Its a great fun experience and a Coues hunters dream, don't stress just take care of what everyone above has said and you will have a great time.   happy hunting

Great info, thanks! As to your points:

1) we have the Mexican resident that is helping with our gun permits meet us at the border and help out with that. A person in our group speaks fluent Spanish. 

2) from what a few have told me as long as you have a notarized letter from the company owner (himself) allowing him to drive the vehicle (stating they are one in the same) it should be ok. 

3) that’s the first I’ve heard about the ammo. I know there is a 30-06, 7mm mag and a .300 win mag going down, not sure on the other guns. 

4) we plan on trying to pay for most everything in pesos to try and solve the conversion issue. Tips to rancher and help will be in American dollars. 

5) I’ve heard that from almost everyone that’s been down there. 

6) that will be tough for me, I’m a planner. I like things to go smoothly, i gererally have a problem when things don’t go as planned. I’ll have to work on that this trip haha! 

7) how did your group do? Kill some good bucks? How far south of the border were you? 

Thanks again for the info!!

7 hours ago, PRDATR said:

Ernesto,

What was the reason in 2017 that those guys with the 3/4 Ton weren't allowed to cross? Something to do what the GVW on the vehicle registration.

Yes, the GVW on their truck registration exceeded the allowed limit by the Mexican goverment.

17 hours ago, codyhuntsaz said:

Thanks for the info, his truck is a 3/4 ton diesel, but not a flatbed or dually and no tool box. 

Cody, check the truck registration where it says GVW....make sure doesn't exceed 7716 lbs.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, codyhuntsaz said:

7) how did your group do? Kill some good bucks? How far south of the border were you? 

Yeah we had great hunt killed a couple guys 105ish one guy got a 113, a passed on a couple of 100++ bucks looking for bigger and ended up killing smaller the last day.  It happens when your picky.  We were approximately 150 miles south east of Agua Prieto in thorn scrub type country. It’s was great and I would do again but the guy who set it up doesn’t do it anymore

3 hours ago, KoosCrazy said:

We were approximately 150 miles south east of Agua Prieto in thorn scrub type country. It’s was great and I would do again but the guy who set it up doesn’t do it anymore

Talk to Ernesto.

• Like 1

On 12/24/2018 at 2:01 PM, Ernesto C said:

Cody, check the truck registration where it says GVW....make sure doesn't exceed 7716 lbs.

The registration for my 2000 F250 lists the GVW as 0000

• Like 1

On ‎12‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 10:59 AM, codyhuntsaz said:

Great info, thanks! As to your points:

1) we have the Mexican resident that is helping with our gun permits meet us at the border and help out with that. A person in our group speaks fluent Spanish. 

2) from what a few have told me as long as you have a notarized letter from the company owner (himself) allowing him to drive the vehicle (stating they are one in the same) it should be ok. 

3) that’s the first I’ve heard about the ammo. I know there is a 30-06, 7mm mag and a .300 win mag going down, not sure on the other guns. 

4) we plan on trying to pay for most everything in pesos to try and solve the conversion issue. Tips to rancher and help will be in American dollars. 

5) I’ve heard that from almost everyone that’s been down there. 

6) that will be tough for me, I’m a planner. I like things to go smoothly, i gererally have a problem when things don’t go as planned. I’ll have to work on that this trip haha! 

Cody-

I think Ernesto and others have been doing a great job giving advice to you for your hunt.  I apologize if this has already been covered but make sure to have your US Fish and Wildlife Declaration Form and Notice of Arrival Form ready and filled out when you cross back into the US.  You can google and print both forms by simply typing those words in.  I'm happy to help if you have any questions on the form.

A couple of other things, make sure on the back of your gun permit in the middle it says "El Prestador De Servicios" that is where the owner of the ranch needs to make sure they sign.  I've seen many years this never signed and it doesn't create a problem but it seems lately the military and the policia at Aduana want that signed.

Remember you can also google and print your Customs 4457 form.  Make sure the US customs sign and date that form on your way in.

Capes need to be "pliable" upon reaching the border.  They want to be able to check for ticks throughout the whole cape.  If one tick is found dead or alive there is a very good chance they will confiscate the cape.  In years past they used to let us pick until they were satisfied but seems like last year the tolerance level was lower.

Don't forget to cancel your vehicle permit and check your guns out at military and policia on the way back to the US

I appreciate everyone trying to help and sticking together.  Its really great to see!  Please don't hesitate to reach out if anyone has further questions as I will do my best to help. jayscottoutdoors@gmail.com

Have a great time in Sonora as it is one of the finest and most spectacular places in the world.  Shoot straight and drive safe!

• Like 3