CatfishKev

I want to hunt feral piggies, New Mexico?

Anyone here familiar with the bootheel area of NM?  Also anyone with info on some in AZ would be great too.   I'm thinking NM might be my best bet though since its only a two hour drive for me.  I'm seriously considering a short weekend trip with the fam to check it out if anyone is interested in making it a family weekend thing.  Figured Id give it a try rather than going after the stinkopotamus this year.

I can trade info for 35A, a little bit of 30B, and a bit of 23.  

Please PM don't post publicly.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, CatfishKev said:

Anyone here familiar with the bootheel area of NM? Like the animas, rodeo, playa areas?  Also anyone with info on some in AZ would be great too.   I'm thinking NM might be my best bet though since its only a two hour drive for me.  I'm seriously considering a short weekend trip with the fam to check it out if anyomne is interested in making it a family weekend thing.  Figured Id give it a try rather than going after the stinkopotamus this year.

I can trade info for 35A, a little bit of 30B, a bit of 23 and some Kaibab.  

Please PM don't post publicly.  

BoarsHeadLodge, Oracle Az. Couldn’t figure out how to PM,sorry

C84627DA-E647-4EE2-A51E-2D70B8D880D1.jpeg

Looks interesting.  Is the hog hunting on a private ranch or does he take you out on public land. 

• Like 1

On 12/17/2018 at 9:45 PM, CatfishKev said:

Looks interesting.  Is the hog hunting on a private ranch or does he take you out on public land. 

Give the place a call and do some digging. Sounds like you'd have just about as good a shot spending a day with them as you would trying some of the other AZ/NM places where they might be.                                             

• Like 1

On 12/19/2018 at 9:39 AM, brademan76 said:

Give the place a call and do some digging. Sounds like you'd have just about as good a shot spending a day with them as you would trying some of the other AZ/NM places where they might be.                                             

Hers the basic rundown..  they only offer the hunts to people staying at the lodge. Lodge is $75 per day and an additional $45 per person. Basic range manager assistance for $75 or $100 for a group. This is more diy. Or $150 per person per day to have them out with you the whole time. (Or at peast this is my understanding of it)  Over all pretty affordable I would say.  These are on ranches and mostly tagged hogs that have gone feral.

I saw as much on their website regarding pricing. They have hogs that have "escaped" or what? Is it within a fence on private property or blm or what?

Most of the hogs are on 2 private ranches. Some have made it to BLM property but it is primarily a private ranch hunt. 

• Thanks 1

wow, im even more confused after looking at the website... Im willing to help them geradicate the nuisance with just paying a 100 bucks to camp and hunt. ha ha.

$300 for a trophy fee? Wonder what they charge fro non trophy

For that price you could shoot one at blue rooster ranch or the dutton ranch. I think they cost about $500. Most likely a canned hunt though. I killed one on the san pedro near mammoth about 10 years ago. An outfitter offered hunts for about $200. Think it was called TnT adventures or something. I don’t think they are around anymore. They were wild hogs. No high fences. Most of the hunting we did was on private in farm fields but they were surrounded by mostly public land. I always told myself i was going to go back and shoot one on public and not pay the guide fee but never did. I would bet that there are still quite a few in the area. I think the rancher that owned most of the land was named Andy Smallhouse

I've seen a few in Animas Valley just before you break West toward Clanton/Whitmire - right in the main road.

A few piggies in 34a a year ago... they are all over...just have to be in right place at right time...

FB_IMG_1489977185687.jpg

• Like 1
  • Wow! 1

2 hours ago, GreyGhost85 said:

For that price you could shoot one at blue rooster ranch or the dutton ranch. I think they cost about $500. Most likely a canned hunt though. I killed one on the san pedro near mammoth about 10 years ago. An outfitter offered hunts for about $200. Think it was called TnT adventures or something. I don’t think they are around anymore. They were wild hogs. No high fences. Most of the hunting we did was on private in farm fields but they were surrounded by mostly public land. I always told myself i was going to go back and shoot one on public and not pay the guide fee but never did. I would bet that there are still quite a few in the area. I think the rancher that owned most of the land was named Andy Smallhouse

Think the place is closed now. Some areas were high fenced, some not. I hunted deer on bordering ranches and saw the difference. Saw some pigs on public land since then but never had a shot.

3 hours ago, Coach said:

I've seen a few in Animal Valley just before you break West toward Clanton/Whitmire - right in the main road.

Is this in AZ? Just looked up all three and nothing showed up.