Edge

Hey hunters, $20K reward *update*

Last May, two men parachuted out of a WWII Gruman Avenger, just south of Whiteriver, AZ. They were flying the antique plane east when they experienced engine trouble and had to bale out at approximately 800' AGL. Plane was lost by radar just south of Mt Baldy and hasn't been seen since. The owner is offering a $20,000 reward for the GPS Coordinates of the crash site.

Happy hunting and don't forget to split the reward with me.

https://www.wmicentral.com/news/apache_county/a-tale-of-survival-and-the-search-for-a-lost/article_c249ee52-d03a-5c5f-8ca3-979d37feda32.html

• Like 3

I was thinking about this today.  May is a long time to go undiscovered.  There have probably been a few dozen trips trying to find it both by the owner and his pilot buddy community by air, trophy elk hunters scouring the area, and others that know of areas that can hide a plane.  The fact it didn't start a fire or send up any smoke and hasn't been found yet, makes me think it's under water.  But where?  Not a lot of water out there but that's where I'd look.

Wicked

Too bad Google Earth pics are a couple years old.

A friend went turkey hunting in one of the big canyons on the west side of the San Mateos here in New Mexico.  There was still a lot of snow up high and he needed to cross one ridge to get into the roadless canyon that he wanted to hunt.  As the got up to the snowmelt line, he was startled to see the tail assembly of a Beech Bonanza sticking out of a snow bank.  Figuring that it was a known wreck, he clambered over the fuselage to take a look and was startled to see the body of the deceased pilot still inside.  Turned out the plane had vanished from radar late in the previous fall and no one had known where to look for it until my friend stumbled across it.

Things are sometimes not as obvious as they seem...

• Like 8

A fighter enroute from Luke to a base in CA went down in the 1950's less than 2 miles north of the present day Burnt Wells Rest Area on I-10. A hunter came across some of the wreckage more than 30 years later. The pilot ejected, his remains have never been found. 

http://tucsoncitizen.com/morgue2/1997/09/10/134375-rincon-crash-may-be-linked-to-drugs/

The hikers may have been the 2nd people to find this. 1.5 million on board supposedly, 30-40k recovered.

Anyway 13 years had past since the crash.

• Like 1

I've received two emails and several maps and radar ques from the planes owner.

It's still out there, folks!

54' wide and 40' long, that's a big airplane, it will be interesting to see the crash site when it's found.  I still can't believe it hasn't been.

10 hours ago, Phil Carr said:

http://tucsoncitizen.com/morgue2/1997/09/10/134375-rincon-crash-may-be-linked-to-drugs/

The hikers may have been the 2nd people to find this. 1.5 million on board supposedly, 30-40k recovered.

Anyway 13 years had past since the crash.

30-40k rotted money turned in. The 1.46 million is probably in nice shape under a hikers mattress 

• Like 2