Edge

Hey hunters, $20K reward *update*

Most likely on the rez, my brother went out looking a little for it this weekend, but plenty of the areas are snowed in a bit. he decided to wait til spring. 

I'm sure the salvage value of a WWII era plane is worth more than $20K.  I'm sure the insurance company would love to have the plane back regardless of condition.  

I'm really surprised it didn't start a fire upon crashing.  Leads me to believe it may have landed in better condition than expected.  If the plane leveled before crashing it may have traveled further than expected.

15 hours ago, Phil Carr said:

http://tucsoncitizen.com/morgue2/1997/09/10/134375-rincon-crash-may-be-linked-to-drugs/

The hikers may have been the 2nd people to find this. 1.5 million on board supposedly, 30-40k recovered.

Anyway 13 years had past since the crash.

Sounds like the plot to C J Box's mystery novel, "Back of Beyond", from about six or seven years ago...

• Like 2

I can't believe they wouldn't have slapped a GPS locator on something like that years ago. Even backhoes and job trailers, etc... have them these days.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, jim said:

Might be he needs it found for the insurance company to make a payout. 

Also, a restoration firm just overhauled the motor at considerable cost. Once found the NTSB will determine why the engine failed. Could be some big bucks at stake here.

• Like 1

It will be interesting to find out where it is. 

• Like 1

Doesn't the FAA usually get involved immediately after a crash? They have access to high tech stuff, including real time satellite imagery. If the Plane had a functional transponder, they should be able to locate it pretty quickly, unless it is under water?