Sign in to follow this  
Non-Typical Solutions

Lion in Tucson

No mountain lion has ever reached retirement age. They usually live to be around 10 years old. In captivity, a rare few reach 20 years. One famous cat, affectionately named Scratch, died just short of his 30th birthday. 

So when a mountain lion started making its way around SaddleBrooke, a 55-and-older "active adult community" in the foothills of Tucson's Santa Catalina Mountains, people knew it didn't belong. 

"If you see this in your backyard, call us ASAP ... " the Arizona Game and Fish Department tweeted Monday morning, attaching a photo of a fully grown mountain lion. In the photo, the cat stands atop a concrete wall, looking off to the side, like a neighbor spying on the house next door.

The cat is a mature adult, and it's been active. People have spotted it three times in the past eight days, though no run-ins had been reported. 

"The lion menaced no one," Game and Fish spokesman Mark Hart said in an email. "This was a sighting, not an incident."

There are about 2,000 mountain lions in Arizona. They're easy to spot around the state, where they often pop into campgrounds and appear on home security cameras.

Sometimes they attack small dogs or follow hikers down their trail. Conflicts are rare, but a provoked cougar is strong enough to take down a human. Mountain lions have killed at least two people in 2018, one in Oregon and one in Washington State.

Mostly it's humans doing the killing. It's legal to hunt mountain lions in Arizona, where officials use the practice to keep the cats' population under control.

This year, the Humane Society of the United States collected signatures for a ballot measure that would have banned mountain lion hunting in Arizona. But the movement collapsed in April. 

To avoid an attack, Game and Fish gave advise people who encounter a mountain lion to act big by standing tall, waving your arms and screaming while maintaining eye contact.

Anybody who spots a mountain lion may call Game and Fish at 623-236-7201. 

If you go to the link there is a short video clip......a couple of things from the write up that made me laugh....be sure to maintain eye contact.........:)

They're easy to spot around the state, where they often pop into campgrounds and appear on home security cameras.

Sometimes they attack small dogs or follow hikers down their trail.

people who encounter a mountain lion to act big by standing tall, waving your arms and screaming while maintaining eye contact.

I read the book 'The Beast in the Garden" a while back and was impressed by how dangerous these big cats can be. It does not happen often but there is a definite potential for these predators to be killers of humans. The book chronicles the encounters between humans and their pets and mountain lions in Boulder Colorado leading up to a lion killing a 18 year old young man out for a run on the edge of town. 

1 hour ago, AZAV8ER said:

I read the book 'The Beast in the Garden" a while back and was impressed by how dangerous these big cats can be. It does not happen often but there is a definite potential for these predators to be killers of humans. The book chronicles the encounters between humans and their pets and mountain lions in Boulder Colorado leading up to a lion killing a 18 year old young man out for a run on the edge of town. 

Laws up here changed a few years back that changed how we are allowed to hunt cats.  The cats now reaching adulthood do not know to fear humans  like they did just a few years ago.  We had two people killed this year here in the PNW by lions.  Been a few close calls were hunters have turned and shot one that was stalking them or had snuck up to within <10yrds while still hunting and would not leave/acting aggressive.  They most definitely can and will attack people.

3 hours ago, Non-Typical Solutions said:

I think Amanda has a pretty wild and not so fun story about them camping and one of her dogs!!!

Was about three years ago if I remember correctly.

5 hours ago, AZAV8ER said:

Track of The Cat with Robert Mitchum is a good movie to watch too.

Its all fun and games and sooo exciting  until Mildred's toy  poodle gets eaten off the end of its leash , Then Saddlebrooke will be having a town hall meeting  and demanding justice be done! AZGF will capture and euthanize it.  AZHSUS  and PETA will will decry its murder as a senseless act of barbarianism. No winner except Mildred, who gets  rid of a toy poodle.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Non-Typical Solutions said:

There are about 2,000 mountain lions in Arizona. They're easy to spot around the state, where they often pop into campgrounds and appear on home security cameras.

never seen one in my life 

3 minutes ago, Non-Typical Solutions said:

Yeah....I had to laugh at that one.....sure as heal ain't easy to spot......and I wonder about their 2000 count, is that a reasonable count number???

Idk but after the one I had on my camera I checked yesterday I know of 9-10 lions in a 22.5 mile area. Possible that 1 or 2 are the same lion. I had no idea there were so many.