Sign in to follow this  
jp0212

Backcountry Tent

For all you backcountry hunters, I was a little curious what you all use for a tent. I am looking to purchase a new one and torn between two options. The first option is the new Stone Glacier Skyscraper 2P tent. I love that it is a 4-season tent, with the option to buy a couple extra components and make it a lighter 3-season tent. Awesome that it would be a single tent for full year use in most environments. The only downside is that the tent is 4 lbs 4 oz (4-season) and 3 lbs 5 oz (3-season). The other options I am looking at are straight-up 3-season tents (Big Agnes Copper Spur HV UL2 and the Nemo Hornet Ultralight). Those two tents are 2 lbs 13 oz and 2 lbs 5 oz respectively. The real question is how many of you run a 3-season tent all year long in Arizona? I know our winters aren't too crazy compared to the states north of us, and my current 3-season tent has even served me well in the winter archery hunts. Anyone have thoughts on this?

Guest akaspecials

Probably not the answer you are looking for, but I use a tarp and a hammock about 95% of the year. The real tent (20 year old Sierra Design 4 Season) gets used the other 5% of the time when it is actually cold and rainy/snowy.  I don't hunt the north country much after November since that old tent is HEAVY! 

The easiest way to stay light is to get down to one pole. And the only way to stay warm AND dry out is to have a non propane heat source. With that in mind, my next setup will be from this company and will include a wood stove:  https://luxe-hiking-gear.com/

I've been eyeballing the Nemo hornet 2p to upgrade my setup.awesome tent. Basically the same thing I use now but half the weight. I've considered using a tarp instead of my 4 lb tent, but I'd happily carry the extra lb (when I get the hornet) to have the extra comfort and critter protection of a tent personally

Borah gear snowy side bivy 13oz

borah side zip bug bivy 6oz And 6x9 tarp 9 oz no poll I use my Tripod 

Great topic.

Some of the Luxe stuff is sold out. What's a solid 4 season/ 2 person tent with a floorliner and a stove jack?

Any thing I’m aware of with a stove jack is floorless. 

I don’t have anything 4 season because I only backpack in Arizona, there’s really no need for a 4 season here. 

But techincaly the snowy side bivy is 4 season. 

Guest akaspecials
2 hours ago, Jazz said:

Great topic.

Some of the Luxe stuff is sold out. What's a solid 4 season/ 2 person tent with a floorliner and a stove jack?

Embers may accidentally come out when you stoke the fire, so most don't use floors with wood burning stoves. Some of them will have "ground buckets" for when you don't use the stove though. Also, any 2 person tent with a stove jack will actually be a 3-4 person tent without the stove.

Kifaru and SeekOutside both have similar shelters to Luxe. I have not spent the night in them though. 

2 hours ago, oz31p said:

Any thing I’m aware of with a stove jack is floorless. 

I don’t have anything 4 season because I only backpack in Arizona, there’s really no need for a 4 season here. 

But techincaly the snowy side bivy is 4 season. 

:) lol   

A couple years ago I killed my late archery bull at 0 degrees the first part of November with a few inches of snow. Depends on how you hunt, if you truly wanted to backpack into some places in the winter a good 4 season tent is a must. My .02

I have the Stone Glacier and I really liked it on my WY hunt this year, it was fairly warm and so I didn't get to see how well it stood up to wind and snow, but I was happy with it. Very comfortable for 2 people and gear. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, WHT_MTNMAN said:

A couple years ago I killed my late archery bull at 0 degrees the first part of November with a few inches of snow. Depends on how you hunt, if you truly wanted to backpack into some places in the winter a good 4 season tent is a must. My .02

I have the Stone Glacier and I really liked it on my WY hunt this year, it was fairly warm and so I didn't get to see how well it stood up to wind and snow, but I was happy with it. Very comfortable for 2 people and gear. 

Thanks! Glad to hear from someone who has one of the tents. Regarding the Stone Glacier in warm weather, one big concern I have regarding that tent is how it will work out in the warmer time of year. Specifically the Early Season archery hunts where I can be pretty warm. Did you feel it vented well and didn't get too hot in the tent? Not gonna lie, I am starting to think I should get the Big Agnes Copper Spur HV UL2, then get the Stone Glacier at a later date to really cover all my bases.

many of the cottage companies can tweak things if needed ie., make a bivy wider or change zipper location.  Warbonnet, Tarptent, Zpacks, Borah, Enlightened Equipment, Seekoutside, Kifaru all make lite weight tarps, tents and or bivys.  You can get away with a tarp and bivy.  

For big companies, many like the BA Copper Spurl UL2.  

Size depends on how tight you want for sleeping, some of these shelters are only as side as a pad ie., 25 to 35 inches. Some have space at foot or head for some gear.  Do you want a litle extra space and comfort for a small penalty?

2 hours ago, WHT_MTNMAN said:

If your backpacking in 0degres, you need a 4season tent and an apt with a mental heath professional😜

Ive been on a few of those late rifle/late archery hunts. It’s cold but I ain’t sleeping on the ground.

1 hour ago, CatfishKev said:

I think there is a copper spur here in the classifieds 

😂 Yup, it's the one I sold this morning haha. My old tent that I sold to upgrade to either a lighter version or a 4 season. 

Can’t go wrong with the nemo hornet 2p. I love mine so far. I’ve owned big Agnes tents in the past and they are great as well. I like 2 doors for backpacking. Easier to get in and out of and 2 vestibules for more storage.