Sign in to follow this  
jp0212

Backcountry Tent

I use a Hilleberg Soulo. It is heavy for its size, but also bomb proof and 4 season. I do a lot of my hunting in Wyoming and feel the weight sacrifice was worth the tent construction. I’ll eventually get a lighter tent for trips I know that weather will cooperate. 

For a lightweight tent I will be looking really hard at the Tarptent Notch LI.  

I've been looking at the Gossamer Gear The One (and The Two). Super light for having a floor. Not a freestanding tent, but not a big concern. I've never seen one in person but it gets consistently good reviews.

This is my first year with the Big Agnes Copper Spur UL 2P and so far I like it. I got the Mountain Glow version on sale which is pretty nice in the early evening when it gets dark early.

7 hours ago, broadhead said:

This is my first year with the Big Agnes Copper Spur UL 2P and so far I like it. I got the Mountain Glow version on sale which is pretty nice in the early evening when it gets dark early.

That's the one I am looking at and still considering. At this point I have completely narrowed it down to the TarpTent Stratospire 2 and the Big Agnes Copper Spur HV UL2 mtnGLO. Similar in price, but I like how easy the Big Agnes is to setup and that it is somewhat freestanding. I like that the TarpTent is a 4-season tent for slightly less weight than the Big Agnes. Super torn between the two.

Not sure how exactly you will be using it, but for AZ those seem like overkill to me, but I can't comment on them specifically. I have also never been to Arizona. Are you hunting with camp on your back? Or leaving camp set up?

I will be heading that way in January and plan on using the Seek Outside dst tarp. Cheap, versatile, and 19.5 oz. I don't know how easy it will be to find water, so I will probably be doing more car camping (I like cots), or overnights with tarp.

You might also look at the SO lil bug out. Then you would have an option to run a stove if you like. https://seekoutside.com/lil-bug-out-combinations/

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Rawmeat said:

Not sure how exactly you will be using it, but for AZ those seem like overkill to me, but I can't comment on them specifically. I have also never been to Arizona. Are you hunting with camp on your back? Or leaving camp set up?

I will be heading that way in January and plan on using the Seek Outside dst tarp. Cheap, versatile, and 19.5 oz. I don't know how easy it will be to find water, so I will probably be doing more car camping (I like cots), or overnights with tarp.

You might also look at the SO lil bug out. Then you would have an option to run a stove if you like. https://seekoutside.com/lil-bug-out-combinations/

Well weather really depends on elevation. Today in Mesa at an elevation of about  1,380 the temps are 45-75.  January could be the same or 10-15 degrees cooler with close to 13 hrs of darkness.

On 12/23/2018 at 9:17 AM, Rawmeat said:

I love that Lil Bug Out!

I am old and fat and the winter nights are long.  When I go out next week, I will be using a 4 man (2 aluminum poles) tent that weighs in under 9 pounds when combined with a heavy duty tarp for footprint.  For me, I usually do not do campfires often, so when it's cold and dark, I'll be in my tent.  A winter's night is too much time to spend in a cramped tent.  

My plan is to make two trips.  First, I'll carry in 5 gallons of water, my tent and a couple of things.  I'll hike in between 1 to 2 miles where I'll set up tent and drop off the rest.   Then I'll make my way back to truck and in my second trip, I'll carry in the rest of my stuff.  This way, I'll have what I need for multiple days of hunting.  

Once I am in an area, I can cover a lot of big country from there.