leilacl

Calling in lions.

I've caught several different lions on my cameras recently and am going to give calling them in a try. I have zero experience with these mountain lions and calling respectively, so I'd love some advice if anyone is willing to share. What calls work for you? I'm hoping to borrow a friend's electronic call so it'd be great to know what sound works, what sequence, how long and often to sound it off? Also wondering if time of day and distance from call matter. I've read several forums on this topic from about 6-8 years ago so I'm wondering if there have been any new experiences. 

(If I'm bless enough to get one, I'll thank you all and post pics.)

image.thumb.png.814f48fff642b12e701eceb2a8ce3600.png

image.thumb.png.2dda4ef242753a3bef702fffb4f89f1c.png

image.thumb.png.d9baa5424eb2aa01434ef93473ff61aa.png

image.png.71670575dcb6589fb5a11946f5da354d.png

image.thumb.png.836199343341ddd0ca41f4ec458af959.png

• Like 2

I have called in exactly one, and shot exactly one lion.  I used a jack rabbit mouth call and a woodpecker decoy.  They are virtually silent and it just appeared about 10 feet in front of me fixated on the woodpecker.  I think you would also up your odds a bunch if you called at dark with a shotgun now that it is legal.

- Make sure you have a tree, rock something at your back

- Use a decoy if you can

- Calling will probably take a lot more time than coyotes

- Wear full camo, I had a full ghillie suit on  

- Be ready even when it gets boring 😁

• Like 1

Those pictures are what I think about at 4am on the way to the treestand.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, rcdinaz said:

I have called in exactly one, and shot exactly one lion.  I used a jack rabbit mouth call and a woodpecker decoy.  They are virtually silent and it just appeared about 10 feet in front of me fixated on the woodpecker.  I think you would also up your odds a bunch if you called at dark with a shotgun now that it is legal.

- Use a decoy if you can

Calling at night is not legal anymore. I couldn’t find it anywhere in the regs

We have called in one lion in all of our calling.  It came in at almost the 30 minute mark.  We were trying to call in a bear that we knew was in the area.  My buddy shot it at about 7 yards and it scared the crap out of him.  Showed up out of nowhere.  We had an electronic call and if I remember correctly we had changed call sounds a couple times.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, AZbowhntr said:

We have called in one lion in all of our calling.  It came in at almost the 30 minute mark.  We were trying to call in a bear that we knew was in the area.  My buddy shot it at about 7 yards and it scared the crap out of him.  Showed up out of nowhere.  We had an electronic call and if I remember correctly we had changed call sounds a couple times.

40 minutes ago, azbirdhunter88 said:

Not a bad idea also to call with a buddy looking behind you. 

1 hour ago, Jazz said:

Those pictures are what I think about at 4am on the way to the treestand.

1 hour ago, Non-Typical Solutions said:

What rcdinaz said........my buddy called in a lion over a rocky bluff and he said all the sudden, there the lion was face to face ten yards in front of him with no indicators, sightings, sounds preceeding the face to face encounter!

2 hours ago, rcdinaz said:

- Use a decoy if you can

In your opinions...

When working calls, how long and how frequent are you letting the calls go? If I'm there for 5 hours or so, what do you recommend?

And will calling spoke off all the deer in the area? This is my January deer area, unfortunately.

its up to you how long, eventually something will show up lion bobcat foxes yotes.

I usually run a electronic call for 5 on then 10 off if I have patience that day I will do it for a few hours. hand call a min or 2 then off for 5 and a min or 2 etc etc, just gotta play with it.

Deer will come to a call especially a high pitched call. Called many elk and deer in using a squealer only a hand full using a low pitch call. Always carry a call while bow hunting deer for the simple fact you never know what your going to see  and it does work. Mostly you get does and small bucks butt occasionally you will get a loaner buck thats decent.

one thing for sure if you see no deer moving around blow the call a few times, they will start moving. Never had one run away I think its a curiosity thing with deer

3 hours ago, azbirdhunter88 said:

very good idea. not just lions but foxs and bobcats.

dad and I were up in arivipa canyon hunting with a buddy of his one year. we pulled up 2 days before the hunt it was getting dark so i figured I would do some calling. walked over to a small bluff facing camp and my father and his buddy drinking beer. started on the call. I had my back against a rocky cliff head was barely sticking over the top.

about 20 mins into it I noticed dad and his buddy were pointing and waving at me I never saw a thing. they grabbed rifle and was getting ready to shoot. I happen to catch out of the corner of my eye a big fur ball turned around and there was a bobcat laying there looking at my head. it ran off when I turned again to get a shot.

when I got back to camp they said the thing came running up about 10 mins into calling. walking back and forth looking at me. then layed down thats when they grabbed rifle to scare it off. he said funny as shoot when it 1st happened but when it layed down they got scared cause they thought it was going to attack me. I was at the next canyon about 400-500 yards away from them.

dont lean against rocks with your head exposed, same deal with calling and owls hawks and eagles wear  a hat and make sure your head isnt the only thing sticking out. Talons leave marks.

• Like 1

I like an open reed call and fawn or calf/cow elk in distress, the rabbit works to. If your calling by yourself an electronic caller may suit you better since lions dont always sneak in, they will charge the caller. My good friend has called in 7/8 lions and had three charge him, one of them he shot at the muzzle. I had one charge in and stop maybe six feet from me. Dont sit down on the ground if your using a mouth call, elevate yourself. Have fun and good luck!

• Like 1

On 12/21/2018 at 10:18 AM, azbirdhunter88 said:

Yep!  But it didn't work real well when I shot mine.  Dang things are so quiet he never saw it until it was shot.

I have been blessed to call in over a dozen lions in 20 years of bear calling.  I was obviously targeting bears and used hand calls.  I call incessantly, with lots of emotion, and only stop to catch my breath with nothing longer than a 30 second break.  I typically call fir 40-60 minutes depending on the feelings I get...Lions appear out of nowhere! Quiet and s eaky, they have scared the heck out of me!!  Good luck!

I am in the same boat with the frequent lion pics.  Would it be better just to try and glass the lion up?  If it didn't like your calling could you scare it out of area?

I’m curious...this is a 2018 topic but did either of you have success at calling one in?

I think lions are fairly easy to call in. There is a huge learning curve at the beginning but after a couple of lions it gets very cookie cutter. 

I would never mouth call. They come in fast and there is always the chance of calling in a bear which I’m not fond of. 

Personally I think you have to understand travel routes, bedding and sunning areas to be okay at glassing them up. Most people I know that have found them using glass were looking for deer, elk, etc. Not saying impossible but not easy. 

• Like 1