Sign in to follow this  
Flatlander

Utility Trailer Opinions

Been looking for a 14’ utility trailer for side x side and / or quads.

I’ve always liked PJ their powder coating and diamond plate wheel wells are awesome. I also have talked to Imperial, they build their own stuff locally. They don’t advertise it’s just word of mouth. Anyone know them?

I think I am going to stay away from the Carson stuff, the last one we had from there rusted really bad.

I know Big Tex sells a lot of trailers but haven’t seen one from them with removable ramp rails in the front.

Anyone have good or bad experiences they want to share?

My only suggestion would be to stick with a single axle if your primary use is a side by side. They are so much easier to move around without hooking them up to a vehicle. I know lots of guys that thought they wanted a dual axle incase they wanted to haul more. Most ended up regretting and selling them, especially after seeing how easily I push mine around. 

• Like 1

If you get a utility, I can make the front removeable or build a utility with removeable ramps from a flatbed.IMG_20180727_140216408.thumb.jpg.4b4107fdc397568dd922a44494bf3320.jpgAbove is a Big Tex  that came to me as a flatbed by one of the forum members. Fuel tank and storage boxes were also mounted.

• Like 2

I have nothing but big Tex as well as my dad. Not by choice but just ended up that way. Haven’t had any issues except one. They put together our dump trailer while we waited, two years later it got a flat. All the dang lug studs were stripped! Pissed me off at first but it was an easy fix. Trailer, paint, lights, etc. no issues so far. I haven’t had any other brands besides homemade.

Wheel size would be a bigger concern for me over a possible front load option for me. I might be alone here. 

I bought a single axle for my side by side from D and S trailers in Mesa. They build them with whatever options you choose. 14 foot single axle. I had a double axle but hooking it up to the back of my fifth wheel was difficult. This single axle I just lift up the tongue and drag it to where I need it. Paint is a little thin but the overall quality is good. Tool box, really good numerous tie downs, spare tire carrier.

12 hours ago, rossislider said:

My only suggestion would be to stick with a single axle if your primary use is a side by side. They are so much easier to move around without hooking them up to a vehicle. I know lots of guys that thought they wanted a dual axle incase they wanted to haul more. Most ended up regretting and selling them, especially after seeing how easily I push mine around. 

I am in that boat. Sold our 8’ x 14’ tandem Carson a few years ago and converting to single axle.

😀

9 hours ago, Allforelk said:

Wheel size would be a bigger concern for me over a possible front load option for me. I might be alone here. 

Does Big Tex use larger wheels? I know Imperial uses 225’s instead of 205’s.

Tandem or single axle? Each has its advantages and disadvantages. Tandems are less prone to sway when towing and have an increased load capacity. They have a better approach and departure angle when crossing a wash. The single axle is obviously easier to roll by hand. It is lighter and only has three tires sitting around dry rotting instead of five. My father and I own quite a few trailers. One is a Big Tex. When the wooden deck rotted out I decided to replace it with diamond plate. The guy who built the frame didn't know how to use a square, the cross members were incredibly crooked. He apparently wasn't very skilled with a tape measure either because one frame rail was theee inches longer than the other. I can't say they build all their trailers like that but I know they did at least one.

4 hours ago, Flatlander said:

Does Big Tex use larger wheels? I know Imperial uses 225’s instead of 205’s.

I’m currently in the market as well. I’m following along to absorb as much info as possible from our little community. 

I have an 18' Carson that I bought new in 2006. It has been great. PJ and big Tex are good too.

Getting 225 tires is definitely the best option.