Sign in to follow this  
Flatlander

Utility Trailer Opinions

I bought an East Texas trailer in Tucson last year from APC.

My main issue was I needed a folding ramp so I can push it way under my 5th to shorten storage space.

Well built, round upper rail, bulldog hitch with jack stand. Small steps by fenders. 

http://inventory.apcequipment.com/2018-east-texas-77x14-s-a-premium-utility-trailer-2VLg.html

2 hours ago, Hoss50 said:

Getting 225 tires is definitely the best option.

What makes you say so? It translates to about an inch in tire size so 1/2” additional clearance. 

I think 225’s can get you into a load range E tire, but do you really need that for a trailer rated to 3,000 lb?

2 minutes ago, ThomC said:

If you are going off road/bad roads with side by side better get dual axles.  

Curious why you recommend that?

I've had my single axle everywhere and of some rough rocky backroads while hauling my Ranger Crew. Only place I have had a flat/issues was on pavement. 

1 hour ago, Flatlander said:

What makes you say so? It translates to about an inch in tire size so 1/2” additional clearance. 

I think 225’s can get you into a load range E tire, but do you really need that for a trailer rated to 3,000 lb?

Probably not but that’s the size and rating I run on my 10’ trailer just for a piece of mind.

There are a better availability of better tires and load ratings on 225 size tires.

Go custom, what one deems perfect others deem useless I’ve built dozens of trailers and always love talking to the new owner about what they need and when you start throwing ideas and options around a whole new light appears in there eyes, there are a lot of great commercial builders , there are also talented fab shops too .... 

On 12/22/2018 at 4:13 PM, rossislider said:

My only suggestion would be to stick with a single axle if your primary use is a side by side. They are so much easier to move around without hooking them up to a vehicle. I know lots of guys that thought they wanted a dual axle incase they wanted to haul more. Most ended up regretting and selling them, especially after seeing how easily I push mine around. 

I have owned 3 trailers, one single axle and two tandem. I tore the axle off of of the single. It wasn't any one thing that tore it up but using it on dirt roads. I had to call a welder out to weld up the axles to the frame. 80 miles of mileage, 2 hours labor and a service call were pretty expensive. If you are going to be using it on dirt roads dual axles are the way to go. If you want easy hookup and primarily  use it on good roads and light duty then single axles are the best

20 hours ago, rossislider said:

Curious why you recommend that?

I've had my single axle everywhere and of some rough rocky backroads while hauling my Ranger Crew. Only place I have had a flat/issues was on pavement. 

well if your axle is not bent then good.  My single axle was bent from bad roads.  Maybe the definition of bad roads is the difference.  Plus a blow out on the highway is nothing with duals but with single you got your hands full.  

Although I see the benefits of a tandem axle, this will be a single axle purchase.

The ability to move it around easier and the lighter towing is greater than the on the road benefits of a tandem.

That being said, the idea of some beefier tires might be a good value add on a single axle.

I run truck tires on my lighter trailers, usually as long as your load rating isn't too heavy , which with a single axle you will be fine. Plus you we get the higher speed rating. While no you probably won't be running 90 with a trailer but most of the small trailer tires are speed rated at 55..... that's the main reason you see people with blown tires on trailers, usually not a pressure issue. Food for thought. 

Dont forgot the other advantage with the dual axle, if you lose a wheel bearing on a single, you are parked,  and so is your expensive side x side.   A double,  you can chain the offending hub up  and pull the wheel and get home.  Not that anyone forgets to repack their wheel bearings on a  regular basis.....  but,  I  see several every summer.  Duals are easier to backup, but definately heavier.

And another vote for the PJ,... built solid with a crazy heavy  ramp gate from Weirs.  Zero issues other than a tail lamp that was an ez replace.