Sign in to follow this  
muledeerarea33?

Sous vide guys

I bought one a month or so ago and I’ve made eveeything from mashed taters to cheese to steaks and chicken. I’m wanting to do the rib roast for Christmas dinner using it. I’m thinking 8lbs boneless season with salt, pepper, garlic, and rosemary. 5 hours at 130f then a hot cast iron sear in butter and bacon grease (like I’ve done steaks.) Any other ideas?

Chimes in.

Never done it. How long would it take? 10 hours in vacuum? Maybe 120 degrees for us vampires? 

Looks REAL good muledeer. I normally start at a max oven for 25 mins. Then 275 degrees until I hit 125. After a rest I get  rare to med-rare with a crust. I smash rosemary, thyme, black pepper, coarse salt and a dash of olive oil in my mortar and pestle. Brush the roast with balsamic and bathe the roast with the smash mix. 

Edit: all seasoning done before cooking. 

• Like 1

Just bought one for myself for X-mas! This was the first time using it.  Midwest whitetail buck backstrap, 8 hours at 130F, quick pan sear. 

Sous.thumb.JPG.5e736d656c9b70f2ea816c7a5f8cf4ab.JPG

• Like 1
  • Wow! 1

Doing an 11# rib roast sous vide tomorrow. Roast is currently in the fridge uncovered with a liberal dose of kosher salt. Dumping it in a 132* bath for 6 hours, then a quick egg wash and a heavy dose of an herb rub. Then under a hot broiler until a decent crust is formed. Always seems to be a hit. Other ways that have worked well is on a kettle indirect (250*) until about 120*, then over hot coals to crust it up with an herb rub. I'd probably be going that route this year, but going over to someone else's house for Xmas dinner.

Capture1.JPG

• Like 2

That back strap looks awesome!! Thanks for the time/temp dmoto. I seasoned mine about an hour ago and bagged it. It’s 8.03lbs after trimming so I think I’m going for 5 hours then broiler til brown. It’s to big for my cast iron skillet.

1 hour ago, dmoto said:

Doing an 11# rib roast sous vide tomorrow. Roast is currently in the fridge uncovered with a liberal dose of kosher salt. Dumping it in a 132* bath for 6 hours, then a quick egg wash and a heavy dose of an herb rub. Then under a hot broiler until a decent crust is formed. Always seems to be a hit. Other ways that have worked well is on a kettle indirect (250*) until about 120*, then over hot coals to crust it up with an herb rub. I'd probably be going that route this year, but going over to someone else's house for Xmas dinner.

Capture1.JPG

Sounds delicious! I got a Joule for Xmas. Looking forward to some recipes. Kombucha sucks btw.

• Like 2

I won’t be making the “plunge” into sus vide for a couple months at least. One thing to consider for everyone as far as searing  goes... buy a square chimney style charcoal starter. I fill mine 1/2 way and light it off. Throw your grill rack from the gas bbq or Weber right on top. The square version gives you a much bigger surface and works better with lump charcoal. It gets hot AF and there was enough room on mine to use as a grill for 2-4 people. It also works great to sear tuna loins on all sides for an awesome crust with a true raw interior. For tuna guys, smash lime zest, fresh thyme and kosher salt with a little canola or grape seed oil together and coat the outside. It’s awesome if that’s your thing. 

I saw some videos on the charcoal chimney. Do you get the “charcoal flavor” from un burnt briquettes or is it a cleaner flavor? I’m not a fan of charcoal taste unless it’s hot dogs. Prefer it to be completely white or better yet wood.

My prime rib is going to hit the smoke in my new Traeger I picked up yesterday for awhile to get some smoke, and then is going to take a dip in 350* peanut oil til it is finished.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, AZkiller said:

Sounds delicious! I got a Joule for Xmas. Looking forward to some recipes. Kombucha sucks btw.

Kombucha does suck. The wife drinks that crap. I'll stick with Coors banquet. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, muledeerarea33? said:

I saw some videos on the charcoal chimney. Do you get the “charcoal flavor” from un burnt briquettes or is it a cleaner flavor? I’m not a fan of charcoal taste unless it’s hot dogs. Prefer it to be completely white or better yet wood.

I wait until the coals are full infrared, no more flame or off-gassing. Used it the other night on some baseball cut prime sirloins. Outstanding. I definitely prefer the square design over the traditional round one. It fits the lump charcoal that I prefer over briquettes. 

Can you cook an 11 lb rib roast in only 6 hours?  That seems too short.  The beauty of SV is you can't overcook anything, but you also can't tell when it's done?  

I used a venison roast recipe form the Meateater's website so it was bagged with shallots, garlic and rosemary after a quick initial sear.  This resulted in an odd taste that my wife thought was gamey (it wasn't, I think the rosemary and shallots were too much for an extended cooking time).  However it made for excellent french dip sandwiches the next day. 

sous3.JPG

• Like 4