lancetkenyon

5 To 1 Odds.....Why Not?

So, last month, a buddy sent me a video of a "world record" shot with open sites.  2200+ yards with open sites on a 36"×48" steel.  On shot #64, he hit the steel.  

We started a discussion, and in my opinion, I said I thought quite a few good shooters that had an accurate rifle with good hand loads had a decent chance at hitting a 36"×48" target at a mile (1760 yards) in 64 shots.  Well, he called me on it.  Gave me 5 to 1 odds I can't do it. 

I said, "$100?"

"As in $100 to $500?" was his reply.

Yep.

So the bet is on.  

I called up my Dad, who has his old Winchester made M1917 Enfield that was his target rifle back at ASU when he was on the rifle team.  

.30-06, 26" 1:10" left hand twist.  Has a rear ladder aperature sight with elevations out to 1600 meters.  That was with the .30 M1 ball ammo.  Which is not what I plan to use.

Went and bought 100pcs of new Remington .30-06 brass and will begin brass prep shortly.  Weight sort (hope to get at least 75 pieces), trim, chamfer, primer pocket uniform, flash hole deburr, FL size, tumble and anneal.  

I have been looking at ballistics, and I think I am set on using 210 HVLD or 215 Hybrids.  Should be able to get 2500+ fps, which will have less drop and drift at 1700+ than a 180 started out at 2800fps.  These will be going transonic at about 1480 yards, so stabilization beyond that might get iffy.  Only about 1752" (95.1 MOA) of drop at 1760 yards though....an inch per yard.....huh.  37" of spin drift with zero wind too.  

I have a few thousand Fed GM210M and CCI BR-2.  

Still looking at powder choices.  I want consistent, not necessarily best speeds.  Not a lot of info out for the .30-06 & 210+ bullets.  Any suggestions are appreciated.  I have a BUNCH of different choices.  Varget, H4350, H4831, H1000, etc.

Once I get a load worked up (which will be fun in itself), then, he and I will be going out for a day of LR shooting to settle this.  Not sure of the outcome, but sure should be fun to attempt.  Need to get a piece of 36"×48" 1/4" mild steel to hang too.  He is going to go hang that sucker, not me. 

Anyone else ever tried anything like this?  I shoot 1760+ a bit each year, but with accurate scoped rifles.  

210 HVLD@ 2550 has like 240" less drop at 1760 than the 175 SMK @ 2850.  I have run tons of numbers.  The 175SMK was one of my initial choices.

8 minutes ago, PRDATR said:

I would go with a compressed load, 06 likes that. 1000 may be a bit too slow, I like 760. Good Luck.

I have a bunch of H414.  Same exact burn rate as W760.  

AverageJoe   

AverageJoe

I would bet you will need way less than 64 to get it done as you are a good shooter with good fundamentals.  Iron sights really arent much harder as long as you can see the target.  IMO hitting once out of 64 isnt much of an accomplishment no matter what disctance you are shooting. 

My thoughts exactly.  I figure 64 shots, even in a shotgun pattern, is pretty high odds.  

2 minutes ago, 5guyshunting said:

So, is the sheet of steel going to be glowing so you can see it at a mile?

I will paint it either white or orange to help see impact (s). I have a spot where you can almost drive right to the target spot, so only need to lug it across a small wash up to the hill.

Sounds fun. Once you get a good load, head north, the higher the better, during the summer for the actual shooting. Left hand twist will help, but spin drift will be the least of your worries ;-).

We shoot at 1000 with irons, coat and sling all the time at Ben Avery, the 10 ring is 20".

38 minutes ago, Mike S said:

Sounds fun. Once you get a good load, head north, the higher the better, during the summer for the actual shooting. Left hand twist will help, but spin drift will be the least of your worries ;-).

We shoot at 1000 with irons, coat and sling all the time at Ben Avery, the 10 ring is 20".

You could go hang out with the boys that do the M1 shooting out to 1000. Lots of reloaders for the 06 there. I shoot mine out to 600 but haven't tried any further. I think in the summer the heat waves will make the target hard to see at that distance.

Good luck, and record it when you do it.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, oz31p said:

I wouldn’t even load for it. Get 64 rounds and good spotter and start lobbing 

What fun is that???

Plus, I might try and use it on an elk hunt in the future, so an accurate load with the 210s will be good for that too.