Sign in to follow this  
creed

2019 regs

Looks like they cut 36 rifle, 25 archery and 13 muzzleloader tags from what was allotted last year

Antelope fawn recruitment was almost zilch. Not surprised in the tag reduction there.

• Like 3

Does anyone have the link to the reports that AZGFD usually has up showing the amount of bonus pass tags drawn, and 1/2 pass tags drawn? I have no been able to locate it yet.

19 minutes ago, Hoss50 said:

Does anyone have the link to the reports that AZGFD usually has up showing the amount of bonus pass tags drawn, and 1/2 pass tags drawn? I have no been able to locate it yet.

https://www.azgfd.com/hunting/draw/bonuspointprocess/

Did anyone see the recommendations posted online for this year? It’s helpful to see the changes from the previous year. I didn’t see it this year but could be my mistake in not finding it.

Anyone have a link or copy if they were posted somewhere?

3 hours ago, coueser4 said:

Did anyone see the recommendations posted online for this year? It’s helpful to see the changes from the previous year. I didn’t see it this year but could be my mistake in not finding it.

Anyone have a link or copy if they were posted somewhere?

You did not see it because it did not exist.  The regs are approved for 2 years now so they are almost identical.  The regs for 2018 and 2019 were approved in December 2017.  There was a reduction in pronghorn tags due to a lack of fawns. 

The lack of pronghorn is a serious problem in this State. The drought this year really hurt.  Anyone have ideas what G & F can do besides arial gunning and hauling water.?.............BOB!

4 hours ago, naturebob said:

The lack of pronghorn is a serious problem in this State. The drought this year really hurt.  Anyone have ideas what G & F can do besides arial gunning and hauling water.?.............BOB!

The most important factor for fawns to survive is adequate hiding cover.

When there is no precipitaion, the fawns are really exposed.  No hiding cover translates to easy pickings for coyotes. With drought conditions spread out over thousands of square miles, really not a whole lot we can do other than predator control. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, naturebob said:

The biggest threat to antelope herds in AZ is habitat fragmentation. Antelope tend to live on land that lends itself to ranching and with the continued growth that this state experiences more and more ranchers are selling off and their lands are being developed. Antelope need huge tracts of open space to thrive. 

The most helpful thing for antelope would be for AZGFD to encourage ranchers to either sell to state agencies or enter into conservation easements rather than selling to developers.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, naturebob said:

Yes, open up all Antelope areas to night hunting for coyotes.  It is called more "opportunities" G&F.   😄

• Like 1