Baboltin

Swarovski 10x42 question + vortex 15x50

I understand the difference between Swarovski and vortex since I started out with a vortex spotter and switched and upgraded to a Swarovski spotting scope and know the difference. What makes curious is it worth the extra 1000 bucks for between the slc 10x42 and the el 10x42 ? I’m sorry if my question or original statement was confusing with the vortex statement thrown in there. I am also up to suggestions on the size binos I run but I like to hunt and glass big open areas mostly hunt sage hills . 

To my eyes, I'd take the slc's even if they were the same price. The El's field flattener lenses take away from the depth of view,which is one of the most important things to me. And the 15x is definitely an advantage in my opinion,the slight edge in clarity for the els dosent make up that extra 3x for me. Both top of the line binos, just splitting hairs

I tell people, never look through 12x50 el’s in the field, till you can afford them, they’ll ruin you. Once I had mine, I would not be happy going to anything else. Several of my buds use swaro 15’s, one has vortex 15’s and my son uses Meopta 12’s. Distance swaro 15’s hd, clarity swaro 12’s.  

Seems like the wise thing for me to do is maybe go with the 12x50 and since they don’t offer them in the slc go with the el. I appreciate reading everyone’s opinion and helping me decide what direction to go. Guess I will start saving .

On 12/30/2018 at 9:58 AM, Baboltin said:

Seems like the wise thing for me to do is maybe go with the 12x50 and since they don’t offer them in the slc go with the el. I appreciate reading everyone’s opinion and helping me decide what direction to go. Guess I will start saving .

I went with the 12's because I was tired of carrying two sets of binos around. No regrets so far. 

• Like 1

On 12/29/2018 at 7:24 PM, hoghntr said:

I have pair of Cabela's Euro HD 10x42 for $800. Mine are last model but if any problems they will exchange for newer model same power you cannot go up or down. Also lifetime warranty with Meopta. I have original receipt these are not bargain cave binocs 

Screenshot_2018-12-19-11-25-26_1545244127484.jpg

I bought a pair of Cabelas Instinct Euro HD's 12X50 for this years hunt. My son was coming in form out of state for the hunt and was going to use my 20yr old Zeiss 10X42's. It was a short notice purchase and I compared the Cabelas Euro's to the Swaros and could not see enough difference just trying in the store to go 2.5 times more$. Are the Swaros better no doubt, Was very pleased with the Euro/Meoptas for 5 days of hard glassing.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, bild said:

I have a pair of 10x42s swaros for sale if interested ??? posted a couple of weeks ago..

480-233-3752

I think I have decided to go with the 12x50 on my chest instead of having 10x42 on my chest and a 15x56 in my pack .

If you are a rifle Hunter, 12s alone are probably the most versitile choice.maybe even 15s alone.  But if you are a spot and stalk bowhunter, that's where having the lower powered binos on your chest is worth it's weight in gold. 8x32s for me. When you're up close,hearts pounding,know there's a buck within shooting distance but you just can't pick him out. ... You definitely want something that you can hold with one hand and search without too much shaking. 8x32s are the ticket for me in that situation

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, dustin25 said:

If you are a rifle Hunter, 12s alone are probably the most versitile choice.maybe even 15s alone.  But if you are a spot and stalk bowhunter, that's where having the lower powered binos on your chest is worth it's weight in gold. 8x32s for me. When you're up close,hearts pounding,know there's a buck within shooting distance but you just can't pick him out. ... You definitely want something that you can hold with one hand and search without too much shaking. 8x32s are the ticket for me in that situation

Yeah I rifle hunt as of right now. Probably in the future will get back into archery hunting . 

As the price increases the difference in quality gets smaller.   An example would be the difference between a $100 pair of bino's and a $500 pair.    There is a large difference in quality.   When you go from $1500 to $2000 the difference is smaller but both pieces will be very good.   I've owned the Kiababs and they are really nice.   Swaro's are better no doubt.   I currently run the 10 X 42 EL's.    I would like a bit more magnification but the clarity is unreal.   

Now here is the the key to optics.    Don't spend every last dollar on optics if you can't afford fuel to go hunting.    The key to being successful is to spend time in the words.   Gear is great and get the best you can afford but make sure to not to spend every last dollar on gear.   Spend plenty of money on fuel and good boots.    

16 minutes ago, recurveman said:

As the price increases the difference in quality gets smaller.   An example would be the difference between a $100 pair of bino's and a $500 pair.    There is a large difference in quality.   When you go from $1500 to $2000 the difference is smaller but both pieces will be very good.   I've owned the Kiababs and they are really nice.   Swaro's are better no doubt.   I currently run the 10 X 42 EL's.    I would like a bit more magnification but the clarity is unreal.   

Now here is the the key to optics.    Don't spend every last dollar on optics if you can't afford fuel to go hunting.    The key to being successful is to spend time in the words.   Gear is great and get the best you can afford but make sure to not to spend every last dollar on gear.   Spend plenty of money on fuel and good boots.    

That is very true, that’s why I I’ll run with the gear I have while I save but at least after posting this I have a idea of what to save for. 

15 hours ago, Baboltin said:

That is very true, that’s why I I’ll run with the gear I have while I save but at least after posting this I have a idea of what to save for. 

Problem being you will never have enough money to get the best gear.   There literally is just to much gear.   Trailers, trucks, UTV's, custom rifles, bino's, spotting scopes, tripods, packs, reloading equipment, boots, packs, game cameras, stands, ground blinds............Now that is just hunting.   Let's not forget about fishing too!!!!!!!  

There have been a ton of great elk, deer, ect. killed with a $300 rifle a set of 10X50 bushnell bino's while sleeping out of the bed of the pick up truck.    Gear is cool but spending time in the woods will kill more critters than great gear.   Gear just makes it more comfortable at times.   

Recurveman; Amen!  Get out in the field no matter what you have and enjoy nature.  I’ve never killed anything at work except my lower back.

PS my Swarovski 15x56WB from 1999 still see animals further than I want to hike some days. Non-HD and I can spot more animals than others with HD ELs cause I am used to them and know where to look. 

• Like 1