Sign in to follow this  
AZantlerhead

unit 31

post-2337-1203028226_thumb.jpgHey guys so ive had nothin but bad luck bow hunting deer the the last 8 years, ive arrowed a pig at 20yds but no bloody deer arrow. However i drew a november rifle tag for muleys in unit 31 last year. The first afternoon we got there we raced to beat the darkness to a good glassing point were we new we could see 3 waterholes at the base of the mountains going into the juniper flats. also these waterholes were surrounded by oaks produceing accorns. luck finally seemed to be turning as we glassed 12-13 does feeding arround the oaks near the closest hole at 450yds. we watched them for ten minutes with no sign of a herd buck, then doubled back over the hill and back to camp with our flashlights.We decided to return to our glassing point before dawn. The same group of does crept out of the cover and began feeding at the same hole. Only this time there was a good buck with them. The wind was gusting up and across the mountain at 25mph and i feared missing at our current 450yd downhill shot. We waited and waited but they stayed there, eating playing and doing deer things.An hour went by enjoyiong the nature movie but i got restless,. We turned our radios on and i began to ease down the mountain while my dad kept sight of him and would warn me if they saw me. I made it down about a hundred yards and ran out of cover. I signalled my dad to follow while i kept watch on the herd and nice buck. we leap frogged if you will. He got to my side and ranged them at 325yds. This i felt confident in with the scoped 308savage, regardless of wind. We set up for the shot with our sticks , then out of no-where the dear spooked and scattered into the flat in between us and the waterhole. they regrouped and ran right towards us! My dad then spotted a coyote at the waterholes bank. They were now closeing fast and we lost sight of them on the hillside below us. I got worried and my dad signaled me to move towards their direction and be ready to shoot. I looked for them on the left, on the right , nothing. My dad caught up and thought they had stopped not Knowing where to run. They had a coyote on one end and hunters on the other. We Began stalking to the middle of the mountain. Out of no where the buck appeared from behind a tree with three of the does, a mear 60 yds. I set up on a boulder while he stood broadside stareing at us, in a pickle. I put the crosshairs on him and squeezed it, CLICK! Nothing. I freaked he was looking right at us. " Easy, easy, just reload" as motionless as i could i chambered another round and put it back on him .Squeeze, BAM! He rared up and dropped. The does stood there a second and bolted. I got him! An inch high due to the range, But a solid Lung, and heart shot. We got to the buck, i was in aww. Ive put in so many houirs and miles and now i had my buck. A solid 3x3 with double eye gaurds good length, symetry, mass and height. I'm tickled to death, yes I'm mounting him. How could you not with a solid first buck? This was the memory of a lifetime for me and pops. A hunt to remember.Thanks Dad and God.